Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WINDOWS XP wont load

• Please log in to reply

mark.cross

mark.cross

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I have Windows XP on a Dell machine and have a problem. When I switch on the PC you see the Dell screen load up, and the you see the Windows Splash load up but then the PC restarts and keeps on doing this.

I have tried to go onto Safe Mode but it wont let me and it just shows some PC language which is repeated line after line, but the PC does NOT restart, so I cant do anything as it is stuck there?

Any advice, I would appreciate it greatly!!

Thanks

Mark

Advertisements

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay, it sounds like you have something in your startup folder in the registry, or start menu, that is causing the reboot.

First of all, is it a soft or hard reboot that gets forced? Once the windows splash screen finishes, how far do you get into windows before it shuts down? And when it does shut down, does it go off straight away, or go through the "Now shutting down" "saving your settings" motions?

Finally, with the Safe Mode thing, you should just be tapping F5 as the computer starts up to try and get into it. And the "PC language" you speak of.. it looks something like this?
multi(0)rdisk(1) [...] C:\WINDOWS\something.sys
over and over again? This is normal, it's Windows loading the files it needs to boot up, this usually happens transparently and it shows the windows splash screen while this is happening.

You should try to get into Safe Mode, try just waiting through the "PC language" (although it shouldn't stop for more than 10 seconds at any time) until you can get into Safe Mode, then I can help you further. More info needed...

edit: I missed this, make sure you read that thread and try whatever's listed there (if it describes your problem). Also next time use the Search function and try to see if you can find some help there, too...

Edited by splintax, 19 April 2005 - 04:51 AM.

mark.cross

mark.cross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

It does say multi(0)rdisk(1) [...] C:\WINDOWS\something.sys but then it just freezes after about 5 seconds. I shall be more patient with it.

Regarding when it shuts down and restarts, it does not go any further that the Windows Splash screen so it does not say Windows Shutting Down.

I shall let you know how I get on

Thanks

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Okay then, this is a bit more worrying.

Can you find out what the last message is before safe mode freezes? It sounds like there is something seriously wrong with the computer, if you know the last message that appears you can probably isolate the problem and I might be able to help you find out what needs to be done.

mark.cross

mark.cross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

I tried again to go on safe mode and after about 10 minutes it restarted itself.

The last message it says is:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\m-p.sys

This comes up when you also go into Safe mode with Command Prompt

splintax

splintax

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Googling m-p.sys only produces this.. anyone speak German?

I think you'll have to wait for somebody else to give you a hand, I'm not really sure what the problem is here, but I think that m-p.sys is key to it :tazz:

mark.cross

mark.cross

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok, Thanks anyway

Mark