Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Card Reader

• Please log in to reply

tobyed

tobyed

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
OK, I seem to have a problem with my inbuilt card reader. A while back the list of extra drives (such as SD, smart media drives labled as K: H: etc) just dissapeared from 'my computer'. I was then not able to use the drives and the auto run feature did not come up when a card was inserted. Then a few months later they all came back and were fully functional. And then, just now they dissapeared again!!! HOW? So I just need to know how to get them back please! I have a feeling that these changes have taken place when I have either installed or uninstalled some software (no idea which, though non directly related to the card reader).
<_<

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you tried reinstalling the software? It should be on the CD that came with the computer or motherboard.

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Yeh, I've tried that about three times now to no avail! I really don't know what I can do, any help would be much appreciated!

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Have you changed any BIOS settings? If so, try restoring the default settings.

You may also want to open the case and re-seat (remove and replace) the cable to ensure they have a good connection.

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ERM, I'm not a highly advanced computerer! I don't know what BIOS settings are and how to change them! please help me with that.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you don't know how to change the settings, I doubt that you have made any changes <_<

If you want to restore the BIOS defaults, the eaiest way is to remove the motherboard battery for at least five minutes (with the power disconnected).

A typical battery:
Posted Image

tobyed

tobyed

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
well, thanks for the help. Unfortunately I really don't have the skill to do this I feel! I don't fancy taking my pc apart. It really is a strange problem. Thanks for your help though

zoker4711

zoker4711

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I've the same problem. Sometimes the virtual drives are disappearing (the last time i installed AdAware and after cleaning the drives were gone). Reinstalling the software doesn't helped.
To get them back I opened the case and pulled off the cables from the card reader. Then I booted XP, shutdown, reconnected the card reader, booted xp and the drives were back and ready to use.
But there must be an easier way to go...
I would be thankful for any suggestion.
Greetz
zoker4711
<_<