Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP - Where did I go wrong !

• Please log in to reply

svverma

svverma

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Where do I Start.

I have a PC running WinXP Pro SP1 and several applications like Office 2002, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 etc. etc., Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger.

Recently I happened to download some security updates from Miscrosoft after which my PC became REAL REAL SLOW !!!!! I mean even if I open two or three IE6.0 windows it will clog up almost 95% of CPU and slow everything down.

I then thought maybe its some stupid spyware and hence downloaded Adaware to fix the problem (PS I already use Spybot and hat catches a few every week). The adaware program used to hang after scanning some 235675 files.

I then proceeded to download the SP2 from Microsoft but that didnt go through as for some wierd reason it couldnt identify my copy of XP as a legal one (IT IS LEGAL).

I was advised by some friends - maybe your XP is corrupted and hence try and upgrade it. So I got another licensed copy of XP Pro and whacked the CD in and decided to REPAIR the existing XP Pro. The entire setup process goes through reasonably well till the point where it is at a stage of IDENTIFYING DEVICES and says your Setup will be completed in 34 min. At this point it reboots and goes back to the initial screen where it asks me if I want to repair or install from fresh.

So I thought, if repair isnt working why not reinstall it - it then tells me that If I do so, it will delete everything in MY DOCUMENTS folder and wipe everything out. Now I have 2 HDDs installed. Master 60 GB & Slave 20 GB. So I thought, why dont we install the Fresh Win XP Pro on the Slave disk, boot-up from there and then access my files & programs from the Larger drive.

As it turns out, the XP installation proceeds fine. I am infact writing this message from the new installed XP Pro. PHEW !!!!

The problem now is that I am not able to launch ANY Programs that are installed on the C Drive (60 GB). Additionally, all my Office documents (DOC, XLS,PPT) PDF Files Outlook PST - nothing is identified. I am able to see the file but I cant open the document. I get a message saying that The required application is not installed on the drive and hence cant open the file.

DO I Have to reinstall ALL application on the D Drive again?

I am sure there is another fix here or something grossly wrong.

At this stage all I want to do is to be able to open my files with the appropriate application and get it working.

I hope this email is clear enough for you exters out there to give me some kinda solution.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance. Apologies for the rather looong email.

Regards.

SID

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

Where do I Start.

My sentiments exactly :tazz:

I have a PC running WinXP Pro SP1 and several applications like Office 2002, Adobe Acrobat 6.0 etc. etc., Yahoo Messenger, MSN Messenger.

Recently I happened to download some security updates from Miscrosoft after which my PC became REAL REAL SLOW !!!!! I mean even if I open two or three IE6.0 windows it will clog up almost 95% of CPU and slow everything down.

I then thought maybe its some stupid spyware and hence downloaded Adaware to fix the problem (PS I already use Spybot and hat catches a few every week). The adaware program used to hang after scanning some 235675 files.

This is where you should have stopped the first time....and got some advice. Geektogo recently added an adaware support forum where some truly exceptional folks who know adaware better than lavasoft hang out.

I then proceeded to download the SP2 from Microsoft but that didnt go through as for some wierd reason it couldnt identify my copy of XP as a legal one (IT IS LEGAL).

I'm guessing you have a HP, Compaq, Dell....long story short, Microsoft was having an issue with people going into stores and copying CD keys off of computer floor models so they invalidated a lot of keys from major manufacturers...microsoft provides a second method, which is explained when you attempt the download, which essentially, tell us your make and model of computer, and if it is on the list, we'll let you download.

I was advised by some friends - maybe your XP is corrupted and hence try and upgrade it. So I got another licensed copy of XP Pro and whacked the CD in and decided to REPAIR the existing XP Pro. The entire setup process goes through reasonably well till the point where it is at a stage of IDENTIFYING DEVICES and says your Setup will be completed in 34 min. At this point it reboots and goes back to the initial screen where it asks me if I want to repair or install from fresh.

It probably was not corrupted....there are a number of reasons, ranging from bad blocks to bad spyware...the lockup on adaware point to the latter.

We're you repairing and XP Home with XP Pro CD?

If your computer is one of the big PC makers, why didn't you use the recovery cd, or recovery process?

So I thought, if repair isnt working why not reinstall it - it then tells me that If I do so, it will delete everything in MY DOCUMENTS folder and wipe everything out. Now I have 2 HDDs installed. Master 60 GB & Slave 20 GB. So I thought, why dont we install the Fresh Win XP Pro on the Slave disk, boot-up from there and then access my files & programs from the Larger drive.

Not a bad idea, it would at least get you up and functioning again so you can recover your data....not sure what you are going to do when it comes time to activate your friends XP on your computer....but, let's not go there.

As it turns out, the XP installation proceeds fine. I am infact writing this message from the new installed XP Pro. PHEW !!!!

The problem now is that I am not able to launch ANY Programs that are installed on the C Drive (60 GB). Additionally, all my Office documents (DOC, XLS,PPT) PDF Files Outlook PST - nothing is identified. I am able to see the file but I cant open the document. I get a message saying that The required application is not installed on the drive and hence cant open the file.

DO I Have to reinstall ALL application on the D Drive again?

Yes.

The programs are not installed in your working copy of XP. When you install a program in XP, it places files in a number of places and writes settings to the windows registry so that the programs can start, find the files it needs, an know what programs are associated with it.

Those associations are what give the various data files their icons and the ability to click and open the program. You cannot just move a folder from one installation to another and expect it to work.

Your data is FINE, don't worry about that., but you will need to reinstall.

I am sure there is another fix here or something grossly wrong.

Unfortunately, no.

About all that could be done is to perhaps repair the original windows installation...was it windows Xp home? Did you get a windows xp home cd? Who makes your computer?