Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Horizontal pink lines

• Please log in to reply

kenneto18

kenneto18

• Pip
  • 1 posts

A few days ago, strange lines and blocks appeared on my pc screen.

cheersWTF.JPG

The pc had been running fine for 30 mins or so then when i was playing the sims the lines and blocks appeared on the screen without warning. i thought it was a problem with the sims so i closed it but the error was on the desktop to. i did a Directx test, didnt help. I check the VGA connection and its fine, im using a samsung TV and i dont get the error with the ps3 running through HDMI so im guessing its more likely the pc, infact im certain its nothing to do with the tv, its been great for ages. I downloaded a new driver for my graphics card (Radeon x850xt) and the blocks changed into the lines you can see in the screen shot. so i uninstalled the graphics card and reinstalled, still the same. ive just taken the graphics card out of the pc and dusted it, which it desperatly needed anyway, but i still have the problem. These lines also appear in safe mode and different shapes appear during startup. when i move any open window around, the number of lines increase within that window, as u can see in the screenshot.

I havent changed any drivers or installed anything new so i dont see why it would happen.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello kenneto18 and welcome to Geeks to Go!

Well this isn't sounding very good I'm afraid. You've checked the connection to the monitor, uninstalled/reinstalled/updated the driver, dusted off the card, and still having issues. I hope your card/pc is still under warranty, because it appears to be faulty hardware to me. Sorry I can't help you any further.

Ax