Jump to content

Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Prioritize Firefox network bandwidth?


  • Please log in to reply

#1
manu08

manu08

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Is there any way to make Firefox prioritize itself for network bandwidth so while surfing the internet it hogs the network bandwidth as much as possible over other programs accessing the internet through the network? My notebook is running Windows Vista Home Premium and I have Firefox 2.0.0.11.
  • 0

Advertisements


#2
Neil Jones

Neil Jones

    Member 5k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is usually an option in your router and wouldn't be something that you set in Windows yourself.
  • 0

#3
manu08

manu08

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
What if I'm in a university network where I cannot access the firewall/access point etc.
Doesn't the OS have an option for it if Firefox itself doesn't?
  • 0

#4
Neil Jones

Neil Jones

    Member 5k

  • Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
No.

This is an issue you'll have to take up with the IT department of your University and I'm loathe to say too much because the campus IT/Internet policy of your University will probably be the final word on the subject anyway. :)
  • 0

#5
manu08

manu08

    Member

  • Topic Starter
  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts
Lol. I think you might have misunderstood my question. I don't want to do anything against the policies of my university. I just want it to be like, if I'm using the wireless and let's say three applications are using the internet; Firefox, Windows Live Messenger & Skype, then I'd want Firefox to use about 60% of the bandwidth available for my computer, and the remaining 40% to be distributed between the remaining applications; Skype & Windows Live Messenger. I'm not trying to get 'extra' bandwidth than what is available but only distribute the bandwidth available more efficiently between the applications as per my requirements. I'd rather browse websites faster & closing other applications accessing the internet to do that every time can kinda get annoying.
  • 0

#6
Major Payne

Major Payne

    Retired Staff

  • Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Three or four apps accessing the 'Net at the same time should not be slowing you down. Factors affecting this are many, but depends on your own computer, number of behind the scene processes running, the number of students accessing your University's network at any one time and the amount of bandwidth (BW) available at those times of peak activity, etc.. Assigning percentage of BW for apps by priority is not possible as each app accessing the 'Net will use what BW it needs to accomplish the job. The less BW, all other factors being equal, the "slower" your PC will be accessing the 'Net.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 11 December 2007 - 04:58 PM.

  • 0

#7
keithr128

keithr128

    Member

  • Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts
You should take a look at Kelvin's guide to make Firefox faster. LINK-------->Posted Image :)
  • 0






Similar Topics

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

Microsoft Yahoo BBC MSN PC Magazine Washington Post HP