Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Volume control, MS Paint and notepad disappeared.

• Please log in to reply

google-ish

google-ish

• PipPip
  • 66 posts
Hi all...

Recently I just realized that the volume control, MS paint and notepad disappeared in my laptop...I don't recall making adjustments to anything and I do not know why they disappeared...anyone can help me out...thx...

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Chances are very good that only the Shortcuts are missing.
Right click an open place on the Desktop and choose New>Shortcut.

A New Shortcut Wizard dialog window will open. One at a time, paste the following bold text into the box that says "Type the location..."
Click Next and then Finish before doing the next one.

Volume Control: %SystemRoot%\system32\sndvol32.exe
Notepad: %SystemRoot%\system32\notepad.exe
Paint: %SystemRoot%\system32\mspaint.exe

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
oops, i made a mistake...its not notepad...should be calculator...

Anyways, I tried to find the shortcut but it couldn't be found...how do i get the volume control back to the taskbar again?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 354 posts
I've had the volume icon in my system tray disappear before through no fault of my own. I just open up "Sounds And Audio Devices" under Control Panel, uncheck the "place volume icon in the taskbar," click ok, then go back in and recheck it. My volume icon in my system tray comes back. Hope this helps...

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
wow thanks that helped...now the thing is calculator and ms paint...how in the world did they disappear...and not found?

I suspect I accidentally cleared it with ace utilities...oops.

Edited by google-ish, 10 December 2007 - 12:24 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For the Calculator, follow directions from 1101doc, only crate a new shortcut called Calculator and make it's target

%SystemRoot%\system32\calc.exe

You can create this on the Desktop then move it to the Accessories folder.

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
it gives me an error saying %Systemroot%\System32\Calc.exe not found...

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Missing system files is always a reason for 'scannow.'
http://www.updatexp....cannow-sfc.html

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Is it possible to get the missing system files from another computer instead of from the xp cd...? I don't remember having one...

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It would really work best to borrow an XP CD from a friend and use that. Get one of the same 'flavor.' (Home or Pro) and with SP2 if you have that installed. A missing system file may well mean that there are other files missing as well, and only a full check can assure that Windows is healthy.

System 32 contains a special folder called dllcache. It holds copies of most of the important files. You can find calc.exe in there.
Please do not move it. Just copy it and paste to the system32 folder.
Then make the shortcut to wherever you like.

Please be very careful when you are inside Windows' Folders. Remember that those are Windows' files, not yours. If we want XP to work for us we need to respect it's requirements. I take care of XP--XP takes care of me.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Interesting. I have %Systemroot%\System32\Calc.exe on my Dell laptop running XP Pro+SP2+all updates but it's not on my HP desktop system at the same level. Nor can I find it anywhere under Accessories on the HP system. The only place I see it is in C:\minint\system32 which is the BartPE install directory, not part of standard XP.

Wonder where it went?

Anyway, it's an old program so you can copy it from any system and place it in C:\Windows\system32 then create a shortcut to it and place that in Accessories.

I use a freebie called Calc98 that you can get from here: http://www.calculator.org/

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I only remember having a recovery CD...is that ok? There is a I386 file but nothing much inside...

Edited by google-ish, 11 December 2007 - 08:59 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The Recovery CD is probably not going to work for this. I've attached calc.exe (as a zip file) from one of my XP Pro systems. You can download it and place it in C:\Windows\system32.

[attachment=17124:calc.zip]

google-ish

google-ish

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
thanks alot...now for mspaint as well...

I might as welll reformat the whole laptop after my project is done...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Reformat may not be a bad idea as you mentioned. As for mspaint, here is the zip file for the exe and chm (Help).

mspaint.exe goes in C:\WINDOWS\system32
mspaint.chm goes in C:\WINDOWS\Help

[attachment=17138:mspaint.zip]