Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer (Intel Build)

• Please log in to reply

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Just out of couriosity, why did you go with a core duo instead of a pentium D? I ask because the pentium D 845 in my computer runs at 3.0 GHz while the core duo in my wifes runs at 2.66. yet many people seem to prefer the core duo over the pentium D

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Clock for clock the core2duo are much faster.
Even though your wifes PC has a CPU that runs at 2.66GHz, it'll be faster than your CPU at 3.0GHz.
Also, the Core2duo's consume less power and run cooler.
James

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I can accept that the core duo is cooler and consumes less power but how can a dual core 3.0GHz be slower than a dual core 2.66GHz? the front side bus is the same for both. (my computer is faster when using large programs like quick books)

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Your 1333 front side bus is faster than mine by a long shot so I understand the choice

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
The FSB isn't the only thing that makes the Core 2 Duo faster than a Pentium D. The Core 2 Duo is a whole new architecture. Basically, with the use of new instruction sets and other things, the Core 2 Duo uses its clock cycles a whole lot more efficiently than a Pentium D. So, while a Pentium D may have more clock cycles (though due to its lower heat dissipation, Core 2 Duos can be overclocked much higher than Pentium Ds), the Core 2 Duo can do much more with its clock cycles.

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
well what really sold me on getting the raptor was a few friends of mine from my clan said they had raptors and the performace of loading maps ingame (specifically Battlefield 2) was better than the 7200rpm HDDs and they highly suggested i get one, so i did. i just hope they are right or else ill be kicking myself for wasting money.

and about getting the C2D over the Pen D, well i had no idea that the Pen D was even on the same level as the C2D's. up til a couple minutes ago i thought that Pen D and the Celeron were the same to tell you the truth. plus when ive read threads about people building a new gaming comp they always went either C2D or quad core.

also i might be OCing my C2D in the future to the 3.0ghz mark. but id would want to invest in an aftermarkt cooler before doing that.

btw my 8800GT arrived 2 days early :) first time ive seen it in person and wow, it is huge. but im confident it will fit in my case, as i did research before buying the case. all im waiting for now is the PSU, DVD drives and HDDs.

and while we're on the topic of the 8800GT i think i am gonna get an aftermarket cooler for it. ive got my eye on the Zalman VF900. i would rather get a VF1000 but newegg doesnt have em yet. i might order the VF900 later next week when i order my headset (old one broke)

Edited by Jerry_03, 01 January 2008 - 06:05 AM.

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
ive decided to go with the ARCTIC COOLING Accelero S1 with the Turbo Module instead of the zalman vf900. after researching i foundout that the S1 passively is up to 30 degrees cooler than stock fan (under load). with the turbo module its even better.

however the S1 with the turbo module takes up 2 more slots. it aint a real problem for me because on my mobo right below the VGA slot is 2 pci-e slots that i wont be using anyways (if i ever do need a pci-e slot theres still one more above the VGA slot). another problem the S1 might pose is its huge, its 140mm tall but im pretty confident it will fit in my case.

i also grabbed some zalman VRAM heatsinks just in case the S1 doesnt come with enough. also after reading some reviews the thermal pads that come with the S1 arnt very good so i got some arctic silver adhesive.

and a question is it safe to use Arctic silver 5 on your GPU? i read that the small amount of silver in the AS5 can cause some problems if it drops on your PCB. i would of gotten the arctic cooling MX-2 if i knew about that before ordering.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts

well what really sold me on getting the raptor was a few friends of mine from my clan said they had raptors and the performace of loading maps ingame (specifically Battlefield 2) was better than the 7200rpm HDDs and they highly suggested i get one, so i did. i just hope they are right or else ill be kicking myself for wasting money.

and about getting the C2D over the Pen D, well i had no idea that the Pen D was even on the same level as the C2D's. up til a couple minutes ago i thought that Pen D and the Celeron were the same to tell you the truth. plus when ive read threads about people building a new gaming comp they always went either C2D or quad core.

also i might be OCing my C2D in the future to the 3.0ghz mark. but id would want to invest in an aftermarkt cooler before doing that.

btw my 8800GT arrived 2 days early :) first time ive seen it in person and wow, it is huge. but im confident it will fit in my case, as i did research before buying the case. all im waiting for now is the PSU, DVD drives and HDDs.

and while we're on the topic of the 8800GT i think i am gonna get an aftermarket cooler for it. ive got my eye on the Zalman VF900. i would rather get a VF1000 but newegg doesnt have em yet. i might order the VF900 later next week when i order my headset (old one broke)

The Pentium D is basically two Celerons stuck together, lol. The Core 2 Duos are a whole new set of CPUs, the fetch and decode cycle is programmed differently and so are the clock pulses. Also 3.0GHz is nothing, you can reach much higher speeds by overclocking that C2D. And I would only suggest an aftermarket cooler if you are going to overclock the card. Also I have heard that some companies void you warranty for removing the heatsink/fan.

Soorena

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

The Pentium D is basically two Celerons stuck together, lol.

Two Pentium 4s actually. Hence the name Pentium D, not Celeron D... :)

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Also 3.0GHz is nothing, you can reach much higher speeds by overclocking that C2D. And I would only suggest an aftermarket cooler if you are going to overclock the card. Also I have heard that some companies void you warranty for removing the heatsink/fan.

Soorena

yeah i might OC my processor later, when i have enough $ to get a aftermarket cooler. for now ill just run it on stock speed with the stock HSF.

yeah i know about the void warranty for removing the HSF. im not sure if its true for my PNY 8800gt, probably is but id rather remove that crap cooler and put on a better one than worry about the warranty.

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Well overclocking it voids it anyways so that would be the least of your worries. Lol.

Soorena

Jerry_03

Jerry_03

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Well i finally put together my computer yesterday and it runs great. i went from running BF2 on all low settings barely getting above 25fps to running it on all high with an average of 55 -60fps. and HL2 i was getting around 20fps on all low now i run it on all high with no lag. :)

as expected my 8800gt ran a little hot. it was running up to 75 degrees celsius at load with the fan at stock settings so i upped the fan to 80% now it about 60-65 degrees Celsius load. im still waiting on my aftermarket GPU cooler, i should receive it on Monday.

only problem with my system is my raptor 150gb HDD seem to be a DOA. i tried to install XP on it but it couldn't format the drive. after i loaded XP on my other 320gb SATA hard drive i tried reformatting the raptor using disk management. it successfully reformatted and added on a partition on the drive but whenever i install programs on it they dont load/crash. im gonna be RMAing it newegg. overall im very happy with my rig :)