Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Missing file WOL558.VXD

• Please log in to reply

dawn

dawn

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I start my computer I get the following error and have for a while. I have just ignored it but would like to fix it. The following is exactly what is shown on my screen.

Cannot find a device file that may be neeed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows registry or system.ini file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated applicaion using its uninstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the applicaion associated with this device file, try reinstalling that applicaion to replace the missing file.

WOL558.VXD

How do I determine what this file went to?????? I am not sure how to reinstall or uninstall if I don't know what it was associated with.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dawn

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
From what I can tell, it is a network interface card driver

You could reinstall your network interface card drivers or remove the setting, which is in the registry

start > run
regedit

Search for and delete any references to it

It would be better to reinstall the drivers

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Thanks for your fast response....Where would I find the drivers to reinstall them? Is this something that I should have on a disk from when the computers were new?

Dawn

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
When I look under network adapters the only item listed is Intel Ether Express Pro/100+ PCI Adapter. Is this refered to as a 10/100 card? So this driver wouldn't be on my disk from HP it would have come with that card and installed when the computers were networked, correct??

I am afraid to delete it and not be able to conect to the network or the internet... to be able to find a new driver..... I will need to look around here to see if I can find the disk before I proceed.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download the driver from hp

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry this took so long....my fears were realized and I was unable to reconnect to the network so I couldn't get on the internet. This is what I did. I went to Intel and downloaded the appropriate driver. I am windows 95 connecting to Windows NT I selected the Win 95 version and updated my driver......THIS didn't work so well I ended up with the Blue Screen of Death.....Eventually I got it going again but still have my same WOL558.vxd error. Any other suggestions, or should I just live with the error now that I know what it pertains to? Thanks again..

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
start > run
regedit.exe

Click EDIT > FIND (or is it search)

look for that file....wol558.vxd...what keys do you find it in ?

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
I did edit- find.....then I selected find next until it was done. These are the folders that it expanded when it showed the results of the search each time:

Current User
Local machine
Users

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I was hoping for a little more info :tazz:

Right click the folder on the left and choose COPY THIS KEY NAME

and paste

Advertisements

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Sorry I don' think I am giving you what you want. My screen is in half and on the left side are the folders on the right side are the results. When I click on one they will say for example :

Value Name: StaticVxD
value Data: WOL558.vxd

It won't allow me to cut and past the list of results from each "find now"

this is the copy key name from the file that is open on the left side....I hope this is what you wanted.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD\ACPIWOL
HKEY_USERS\deggers\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Doc Find Spec MRU

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts

If you delete the item from the right pane of the above key, the message should stop

However, before you do that, how did you get it going again in post #7

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
gerryf

I changed the bindings and inserted the icp/ip protocol. I think that is all that I did, I was in a panic for a little bit.

let me know when you want me to delete the item mentioned in your last post...

Dawn

dawn

dawn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts
Also I should mention on the right side there are three items. This is sort of what it looks like:

NAME value

Am I supposed to only delete the bottom one which was the one that was highlighted based on doing the search. I just wanted to clarify.

THANKS AGAIN...for you help, you provide a wonderful service. I also have one for a different but same type computer on the malware site from a couple weeks ago if you have "spare time" , I am just patiently waiting. :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
before you do, right click the
folder
then click FILE >EXPORT and save the file to your desktop...if something goes wrong, double click that file and it will re-add the setting

then, yes, delete the third item on the right