Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WMP11 will not play any files

• Please log in to reply

crybaby

crybaby

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
For a while now, my wmp11 has been acting up. It will not play any of my files currently on my pc, nor will it play any files emailed to me. I followed the instructions posted in the how to forum, but it still isn't working. When trying to play a file, I get this message:

Windows Media Player encountered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance, click Web Help.

When I go forth with the web help, it sends me to this page:
http://www.microsoft...inalid=8007007E

I try to follow the instructions listed via the web help page but, I am unsure which device to select, and even when checking all the devices listed, all state that they are working properly.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to repair this problem? I really miss my music!
Thanks in advance!
~crybaby~

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Think it's a malware infection, if you really followed ALL the steps on the Microsoft error webpage.

Though, a better alternative to get back to your music while cleaning your computer at the same time: Get VLC Media Player. The best standalone player to date. :)

P.S.: I know how it feels to be without music. I'm a music nut :)

~Kelvin

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I have also tried running all the malware removal steps, and seem to hit a snag during the panda scan. I have followed all the steps that I can on the Microsoft page, though I am unsure on which sound device to alter, considering they all seem to be working properly. I would really rather keep on using WMP if it is at all possible. Is there any way to correct the issue other than changing programs?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Don't alter anything. Just use VLC for the time being until your computer is clean, then you might use WMP again.

EDIT: Go to the Malware forum and post a log. Clean your computer while using VLC to listen to it, then when your computer's clean I think you should be able to listen to music with it.

~Kelvin

Edited by Kelvin, 13 December 2007 - 04:04 AM.

crybaby

crybaby

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
ok, I downloaded VLCbut, it doesn't seem to be working either. :) I am going to run throught the malware steps again and post another HJT in the proper forum. Hopefully we can get this resolved soon. Thanks so much for all of your help!

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
No problems. Anyway, it's related to something corrupted for sure. Suggest you post a log ASAP.

~Kelvin