Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet problem

• Please log in to reply

weerydo

weerydo

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok, just got a wireless router today, set it up and all seemed fine, however i am unable to connect to the internet wirelessly, however i can connect via the ethernet cable from the router. I am with Virgin Media on an ADSL connection. The pc is connected to the router wirelessly but i am not getting internet for some reason. I tried PINGing certain sites as other people have done on these forums and here is what i got:

PING 216.109.112.135
got 100% loss and it said request timed out. Dont think i am making connection with the internet at all. However i can when wired by ethernet through the router.

whats the problem, anyone help?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
If you can connect to the internet via the wired connection but not wireless, investigate your wireless settings on the router. Many times wireless is disabled by default. You should be able to connect to the router by opening a browser and typing the IP address of the router.

weerydo

weerydo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
wireless settings seem fine, any ideas, the router will not connect wirelessly but will connect by wired connection. Can get internet fine when wired to.

Biiru

Biiru

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Ok, just got a wireless router today, set it up and all seemed fine, however i am unable to connect to the internet wirelessly, however i can connect via the ethernet cable from the router.

Weerydo,

Pardon me for saying so but all does not seem fine. The desired end state would be the ability to connect wirelessly.

Can you answer a few questions please.
What model of router did you buy? What is the model of ADSL modem you are using? How are you verifying the wireless connection from your computer to the router? What is the IP scheme you are using?

Sometimes one simple setting is the difference between connecting and not connecting.

Biiru

weerydo

weerydo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
netgear dgb111g, adsl2+, using intel wireless proset, but also tried windows wzc, what do you mean by what ip scheme?

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
When you try and connect to the wireless network, does your computer say that you are connected? If you are connected, check your IP address. To do so, go to the Start Menu->Run. In the Run box type "cmd". In the DOS Box, type "ipconfig". Let me know what that says.

weerydo

weerydo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
It usually says unable to connect but has connected twice (by fluke)

thats weird. i just tried entering all my ip details into tcp/ip and when i clicked ok it said "you entered an invalid subnet mask. The subnet mask has to be contiguous. Please enter a valid mask" doesnt make sense to me.

the subnet mask displayed in adsl port settings in the router is: 255.255.255.255
and this is what i entered as subnet mask in tcp/ ip and the message above is displayed when i click ok.

ALSO: Managed to get it to connect again wirelesly, but i cannot access the internet, and it is not displaying an ip adress in intel proset wireless then it does display an ip address in intel proset then it doesnt. Also it says little or no connectivity.

Biiru

Biiru

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Weerydo,

After you get the "little or no connectivity" message, go to the command prompt again and run "ipconfig /all" per the instructions Gravity Gripp gave you above. Most default IP addresses for wireless routers are in the 192.168.x.x range. You should also see a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. Don't worry about how the ADSL is set up. A 255.255.255.255 subnet mask will not work on a computer. It is a special type of mask.

If the IP address starts with 169.254.x.x then you have what is called an Automatic Private IP Address. Windows is set up to give out an IP address in this range if it can't find a DHCP server.

In TCP/IP properties you can chose to get an IP address automatically or set one yourself. If you chose automatic then you have to set up your router to give out IP addresses. In your router config options you should find a DHCP tab. *READ THE MANUAL*

If you chose to set your own IP address then you need to decide on what is called Static IP addresses for your router and computer.

You can also cut and paste the responses from the ipconfig query or attach screen shots to your post so others can get a better idea of how your whole system is set up. After you post the above info we can trouble shoot a little further.

Biiru