Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help

• Please log in to reply

***bigjoe***

***bigjoe***

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi all,

If anyone can help me i would really appreciate it... Please bear with me as im not completely sure what i'm doing...

I have recently bought a new ipod nano 3rd generation. When i concted it to my computer (Dell Deminsions 2400) i get a bubble in the bottom right hand corner saying

''usb device not recognized. one of the usb devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and windows dose not recognize it''

I have conected my nano to two other computers and and it has worked fine with them. I have tryed to repair itunes and have updated it but nothing has worked.

any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
bigjoe

Edited by ***bigjoe***, 12 December 2007 - 09:39 AM.

Advertisements

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
Does your computer have front and rear USB ports? I've had touble out of several front USB ports on my PC's but the ones on the mother itself has always worked.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Does the iPod Nano require USB 2.0 while you perhaps have USB 1.1?

The only way I know of to tell is as follows:

1. Right-click the My Computer icon and select Properties
2. Click Hardware Tab
3. Click Device manager button
4. Left-click the plus (+) sign next to Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

If Enhanced Host Controller and/or USB 2.0 Root Hub Device are listed, then the computer has USB 2.0 ports.

If Universal Host Controller and/or Open Host Controller are listed, then the computer has USB 1.1 ports

***bigjoe***

***bigjoe***

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your replies,

Gravity Gripp, I have tryed both front and back USB ports and neither work.

Ztuker, I have followed your steps and i have 1* enhanced host controller. 3* Universal Host Controler. 1* Composite Device. 1* Printing Support. 4* USB Root Hub.

Any other Ideas?

Cheers
bigjoe

NickGolovko

NickGolovko

Visiting Staff

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
As soon as it works fine for other machines, it is natural to assume that the issue is restricted to your computer only.

From my own experience I can say that some USB devices are quite sensitive to the ports. I have two front USB ports; they are not in perfect condition as I used them a lot. I take one and the same new cable inserted to one of these ports; my Motorola L7 works perfectly with the cable as either removable drive or modem, but my Transcend card reader refuses to work completely.

***bigjoe***

***bigjoe***

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i seems you were right lads... all my usb ports must be knackered, i conected it through a switch and it is now working fine...

thanks for all your help.

bigjoe