Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stealth File

• Please log in to reply

Al frae Fife

Al frae Fife

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Can someone please advise me on the following situation.

In my C;/ documents and settings i have a file named Stealth but i do not know its purpose or how to use it.
This is a large file, 1,024,000 KB, and i would like to delete it if possible. I do not know if this is something that
i have downloaded and forgotten about or if it is a Windows product. Tune Up Utilities tells me that it is taking
18% of my docs and settings so the extra space would be of value.

Please be aware that i am not any sort of expert in these matters so a simple remedy would be the best option.

Thank you to anyone who can advise on a safe procedure.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This may be it: Stealth File Manger (File Size: 1.15MB)

If it is, it should be listed in the Add/Remove Programs utility of Control Panel. Just remove it from there if listed. Or see if there is a listing under Start>Programs for Stealth File Manager. It may have the uninstall program listed there.

You could right-click on the executable file and choose properties to get more information or use Belarc Advisor (free) to see if you can discover more about it.

Ron

Al frae Fife

Al frae Fife

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Stealth File.

Thank you Ron for the swift reply.

I had looked at Install/Uninstall but Stealth was not in the list. Belarc Advisor was easy to download and use but again no mention of Stealth. The fact that the file had not caused me any problems, apart from using up a lot of space, made me decide to move it to my external hard drive which is used for storage. The PC is running fine without access to Stealth so i will leave things as they are at the moment. I can look for answers later but i feel that a password may be needed to open the file. It appears to be some application that i have installed and promptly forgotten about, please accept my apologies for taking up your time and thank you once more for your help.

Al.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You're welcome. If you don't have any problems after awhile from moving file to your external storage, then you should be able to safely delete it. It's just that there may be remnants of the program still on your main drive drive from a previous install. It may have added DLLs to the Windows folder if needed any more then likely may additions to your Registry file. You might try running a scan with CCleaner and see what comes up as orphans related to the programs and remove them. I would make a Restore Point and backup Registry before doing any cleaning.

Season's Greetings to you and family.

Ron