Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Static

• Please log in to reply

avry

avry

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I just installed an internal (5.25" bay) flashcard reader with front-panel USB ports and audio jacks (SOYO BayOne Extreme). The ports and card reader connected to my onboard USB pin headers without problem.
The audio, however: I have integrated AC97 audio on my MoBo with an Intel-type onboard header (5x2 pin configuration), compatible with the SOYO audio cable connector. The pin designations coincide, EXCEPT that header Pin 8 is marked KEY (i.e., No Pin) while the cable connector is not keyed and Wire 8 is labeled GND. When the internal audio cable is connected, I get fairly loud continuous static noise from the existing rear-panel speakes, with or without music playing. Plugging a headphone in the front jack does cancel the speakers, but I am not sure I am getting sound from the headphone.
Could the static be because the audio cable "expects" a ground connection on Wire 8, and if so, what's the cure? Is there something else I may be missing? SOYO customer/technical support is non-existent. This is a very nice little unit, though, and I would like to make full use of it. Thanks for any help.

Edited by avry, 19 April 2005 - 11:06 AM.

Advertisements