Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Basic power supply question

• Please log in to reply

Grindy

Grindy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I'm thinking about purchasing a new system, but wonder if the power supply that it comes with is adequate.
The configuration:

Intel P4 2.8 gigs
1 gig DDR2 400 mhz memory
160 gig hard drive
DVD-RW drive
Radeon X300 128 meg video card
Audigy2 sound card

Power supply is 305 watts. Is this adequate for all that?
Also, the system will hold a max of 4 gigs of RAM. If I maxed it out at 4 gigs, will that overtax the supply ?

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi,

Seems low to me, were are you purchasing the computer from and does it have a warrenty?

Is it a name brand computer, some of these do have small psu's in them that work fine as long as you don't add anything.

Personally I would not use a psu under 400w name brand on any of todays newer systems. I do take some heat for stating this sometimes so don't be supprised if others disagree

Rick

Grindy

Grindy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Hi,

Seems low to me, were are you purchasing the computer from and does it have a warrenty?

Is it a name brand computer, some of these do have small psu's in them that work fine as long as you don't add anything.

Personally I would not use a psu under 400w name brand on any of todays newer systems. I do take some heat for stating this sometimes so don't be supprised if others disagree

Rick

View Post

I agree with you 100 %. 300 watts on this system means that I'll be pushing that supply near it's limits all the time, and anyone that thinks ANY device - be it a power supply or an automobile engine - is ok to push at max, is an idiot in my book... thx for the response.

BePro

BePro

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I see alot of P4 systems come with 400-550watt PSU's.

Your best bet is to get a PSU that is certified to use with a P4 CPU. I like to get PSU's that are well capable of delivering power, so on my P4 system I bought a 500 watt PSU. The more additional and add-on components you add to your PC, the more power you need, so I like to be in the plus, as upgrades are add-ons are pretty much guaranteed for the computer wise.

Grindy

Grindy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I see alot of P4 systems come with 400-550watt PSU's.

Your best bet is to get a PSU that is certified to use with a P4 CPU. I like to get PSU's that are well capable of delivering power, so on my P4 system I bought a 500 watt PSU. The more additional and add-on components you add to your PC, the more power you need, so I like to be in the plus, as upgrades are add-ons are pretty much guaranteed for the computer wise.

View Post

Yep... I'll probably opt for a 450watt GOOD brand, quiet one...
Thx for the input...
Bob