Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD on Startup. Need help!

• Please log in to reply

Albachris

Albachris

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Heya all.

I was currently set to work trying to fix a friends laptop, which he describes as "Trashed." Well, upon getting the thing, I discovered that he was Blue screening as soon as he got to the windows splash screen and started to load.

ERROR IS -

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
0x000000ED (0x84b13030, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I have done *alot* of forum searching, and thus far have done a chkdsk /r, which took about 11 hours, (Still completed) and didn't fix the solution...
I have run fixboot, and fixmbr, which both said they finished successfully, but did nothing for fixing the blue screen that I have been getting.

Booting in safe mode, I get to agp440.sys, and then get the BSOD. I have yet to find anywhere a solution other than "Run chkdsk /r and it's fixed."

I would LOVE for someone to enlighten me on something that perhaps I have just been overlooking... or something that I could do to get his thing fixed.

He has LOTS of songs that he has written on here, and would hate to have to lose them all. (Not backed up)

Thanks a TON in advance... I am looking forward to hopefully getting this thing fixed. =)

Chris

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi Albachris...

Have you tried setting the Fail Safe Default settings in BIOS setup? Enter the Setup when you boot the machine (usually by pressing F1 or Delete)...it should tell you which key to press on one of the first splash screens (Press ?? to enter setup). Once in the BIOS setup, there should be a setting to change the defaults. If you find no settings, try pressing F5, then F10, to save the change. See if it will boot normally after doing this.

wannabe1

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In addition to what suggested by wannabe1 (and should be tried first):

I would test the HD with a DOS based diagnostic tool. Let us know the disk maker and we'll help you with a link. You can also use the link in my signature to Seatools. Make up a bootable cd and run a complete scan of the hard disk. I used to run Seatools on a variety of disks so it might work for you as well.