Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Everytime I try to access Excel, my cpu is pegged

• Please log in to reply

Namflow

Namflow

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Everytime I try to access one of my excel spreadsheets, my computer locks and my cpu is pegged to 100%. This just started happening about 3 weeks ago. I have no idea why or how I can fix it. My computer will lock for a little while which is extremely frustrating. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Namflow,

Is it only one of your spreadsheets that this is happening in? Many times I've noticed that Excel will take a long time to load a document if you already have another document opened. Please give us some more details.

Regards,

Ax

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Ax,

I usually have outlook, quickbooks, and IE open along with aim running in the background. This is the only excel spreadsheet that I use on a daily basis.

The pc is a pentium 4 with 512 ram.

Thanks

josh

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Is the spreadsheet configured to run some macros on startup? Does the same thing happen if you open a different spreadsheet?

If it's just in that one file, you can try the Excel Workbook Rebuilder. It's a two-week trial, but you should be able to fix any problems with it.

Regards,

Ax

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
Thanks Ax- I will try this at work on Monday!

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) No problem, let me know how it goes.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
tried it but no luck....the excel spreadsheet constantly locks up (not responding). Could it be a virus? Could I have too much information in the spreadsheet?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts

Is the spreadsheet configured to run some macros on startup? Does the same thing happen if you open a different spreadsheet?

Also, how much data is in the spreadsheet? Does it open if you wait long enough? If so, can you copy the data into a new spreadsheet?

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have about 75 different pages. This is my quote book. Everytime I quote a customer a price, it gets entered. Each page is a different customer. When I open the book it stalls. When I select all sheets to search, it stalls. Eventually it gets up to speed but it takes 5-10 minutes and locks my computer when doing this.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Wow, that does sound like a big spreadsheet. Take a look at the following link to see if it helps:
Slow Response, Memory Problems, and Speeding up Excel

Also, are you familiar with Access? I'm thinking a database approach might actually be better for what you are doing. Have you ever considered changing the storage format for your data?

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
what is access? Is it part of msft 2003 office?

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Microsoft Access - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It depends on which version of MS Office 2003 you have. It comes bundled with the Professional Edition.

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I have msft office pro 2003 and it came with access. I looked at the program yesterday but honestly have no idea how to use it. I will look for some free tutorials on the web today. Thanks.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey no problem, if you wanted me to help you set it up, I'd be more than willing. I'm going to be busy until the end of the holiday season, but after that I can look into it for you. You'll just need to send me your spreadsheet. Otherwise, good luck :)!

Namflow

Namflow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
I would love to take you up on your offer if it is still on the table. let me know when you have some free time to discuss.

Thanks