Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook

• Please log in to reply

Kivrin

Kivrin

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi,

I am new to this forum, this is my first post. What a great site!!! :tazz:

Here is my question:
When I close Microsoft Outlook, it apparently keeps running in the background. If I do a Ctrl-Alt-Del and look at the tasks, Outlook is still listed, even though I closed it. The only way to close it is to either end the task on the task list, or to shut down the computer. (Note, this is NOT outlook express, I am using the full Microsoft Outlook 200 SR-1 9.0.0.3821)

This did not always do this, it's a fairly recent change. This is only occuring on my Windows 98 machine. On my windows 2000 machine, it closes just fine and is NOT listed in the task list after closing. So it's only on my Windows 98 machine that it stays open.

Can you help me? What could have caused this change, but better yet, how do I fix it???

Thanks, so much, --Kivrin ;)

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Before you are too quick to kill it, have you ever tried leaving it for 10 minutes to see if it stops on its own? Does leaving it running cause a problem? It may quit after a few minutes

That said, Outlook through out the years has had various plug-ins and add-ins that can cause this...the winfax module, the integration with messenger...I no longer have a copy of office 2000, but I would look to see if those are present/enabled through Tools > Options then hunt through the tabs.

Kivrin

Kivrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Gerry,

Thanks for the quick reply. It keeps running no matter how long I wait, hours. The reason I was thinking it could be a problem is that I've heard that Outlook is a memory hog, and my computer has been really slow lately, so I was thinking maybe since it's always running, that could be one of the causes of slowing my system down?

As you suggested, I checked tools and options and looked through all the tabs, I don't see anything that could indicate it should keep running.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again for your help,
--Kivrin :tazz:

logan312

logan312

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Do you have a Pocket PC or a Palm? Outlook is known to have issues with various Hotsync managers. If I have my dell Axim in its cradle and it is connected Outlook will do just as you describe.
Dell blames it on M$ and M$ doesnt care.

Kivrin

Kivrin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi Logan,

Yes, I do have a Palm, with Hot Sync Running. I'll see if that's it. Thanks so much for your help!!!

--Kivrin :-)