Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting a default folder view for explorer through AD

• Please log in to reply

Paul-Cossey

Paul-Cossey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

Is there a way to set the default folder view in windows explorer across the domain? I have had a look and can't see it anywhere.

All our users (apart from me as i'm not governed by any poilcys) can change them to details but when they log back in its back to the default of Icons.

:) :) ;) :) :)

Thanks Paul!!

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello Paul,

If you look into the group policy settings (Start | Run, gpedit.msc, Enter), in the User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Windows Explorer section, what is the value of "Turn on Classic Shell"? If it is set to "Not Configured" you shouldn't have the problem. If it's already set, toggle the enable on and then back off again. This should enable the Apply to all folders explorer option.

Regards,

Ax

Paul-Cossey

Paul-Cossey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks,

We do have that policy switched on across the domain and users can set the view but when they log off and back on again it has not saved there settings

Cheers Paul

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hey Paul,

The policy should not be switched on, it should be set to "Not Configured".

Ax

Paul-Cossey

Paul-Cossey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
We want it turned on though as it makes all the users have a standard View

Paul

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
I am not sure that you can have it both ways. You could use a login/logoff script to change the registry setting for the default view. You'd have to know the registry settings though. The following might help:
Your view settings or customizations for a folder are lost or incorrect

Regards,

Ax

Paul-Cossey

Paul-Cossey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for your help, will have a look