Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is my internet connection failure a driver problem?

• Please log in to reply

symigem

symigem

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hi all!

I have a new laptop with Vista installed but I have to restart my computer maybe half a dozen times a day because the internet will stop working and I use my laptop predominantly for the internet. I connect fine and maybe I will have a connection for 1hr or so and then it will just die. The connection icon shows no problem but I can always tell by my msn and skype symbols dropping out and showing as "connecting" and then I will check my browser and it will confirm this by no page loading.
Once this happens I cannot open the status of the internet at all, it will not let me, I can open the device file of my modem and control panel. etc etc, but it wont let me disconnect and reconnect at all, I can click away but nothing happens and sometimes Control panel freezes and not even the task manager will let me close it. So I reboot.
Anyway I checked through Windows troubleshooting to atleast learn more about Vista and I found through the Device manager that my modem, an external USB adsl modem, (recently bought anyway) has a driver that is compatible so thats not the problem but I found a yellow exclamation mark against "6T04 adapter" and when I couble click on it this is the error message;

"This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available."

When I 'check for solutions' nothing happens, a window pops up saying that windows is checking and then it disappears with no answer.

Could this be the culprit???

I'm running out of ideas here. Its not the software because all the software that I have is Vista compatible, ie, the newest possible version of the software which they say is compatible. Only with one exception, I am running on my computer an old version of Bitcomet because I prefer the layout to the new version, however this problem still happened before I installed the old version of Bitcomet.

Any suggestions??????????? Thanks everyone!!! :) :)

Edited by symigem, 14 December 2007 - 09:59 AM.

Advertisements

deathninja

deathninja

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
I would not be so quick as to disregard the modem driver.

Does the modem also have ethernet? If so, does it do the same thing using ethernet? I would be that it does not.

Do you have any other computers? If so are the problems repeatable on them? Are they running Vista?

Using ethernet in leu of USB will make vista rely on the network adapter. Vista is pretty good about nic drivers.