Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need to create shortcuts on Desktop for all users.

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

At work, we use terminal emulators so people can connect to our AS/400 via Windows. We've just received our fist batch of Vista machines and I'm running one in the office to test all of the software we run around here. So far, no problems.

Well, I say that, but we are having one LITTLE issue. We can get the AS/400 virtual sessions to run, but we like to put shortcuts on all users' desktops. In XP, we created the shortcuts in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Desktop. Then, if we set a new user up on that computer, they would already have the shortcut to those virtual sessions. In Vista, we can't find a folder equivelant to "All Users".

Do any of you know if there is a place to create shortcuts in Vista Business so that all users will have them on their desktops?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello To All:

I found the folder, but I can't see it. Let me explain.

Silly me had forgotten that I bought the Windows Vista Inside Out book by Microsoft Press and even better, I forgot I brought it here to work a few days ago. The answer has been right her in my office the whole time.

I typed the path %Public\Desktop into the search bar and the folder opened. When I drive down to the path, however, I can't find the desktop folder.

I found C:\Users\Public, and there are several folders inside Public, there just isn't a desktop folder. I know when I typed the path that I was taken to the right folder because it already contains other icons that I needed shared to all users. Those, however, were put in place during install routines.

So now that I know how to access the folder, do any of you know why I can't see it? I'll have to do more research...not sure how to view hidden files and folders yet (though I don't think that's the problem here).

Thanks,

Magus

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello....

Well, it isn't over yet. I thought I was on to something, but now I'm having another issue with my desktop shortcuts. In the %Public%\Desktop folder, I can't create shortcuts there. I right-click in that folder and select "Create". In XP, it would say create new folder, shortcut, word document, etc. In Vista Business, it only says Folder. Funny, but that really is all I can create.

I think I don't fully understand the Securities of this OS just yet. I am a domain admin and find that I am still undable to do certain tasks without logging in as a local Administrator unlike doing it in XP with our domain admin accounts. I hope this isn't one of those issues.

Can any of you tell me how to get my icons on the desktop?

Thanks,

Magus

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
I may be missing your actual question, but you can create a shortcut in the right click 'drop down menu'

1. Click start > all programs > accessories > "run"
2. In the run box, type shell:sendto click okay
A window will open with the current sendto shortcuts.
3. Right click anywhere on the window, select "new shortcut".
4. Click Browse, find your shortcut, click okay.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Jacee:

Yes, you are missing the question. That's OK.

At any rate, I have the shortcuts where I need them now, I just think it's funny that I can't see the Public\Desktop folder.

Thanks,

Magus