Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Explorer.exe using all the CPU resources :(

• Please log in to reply

Tim0n

Tim0n

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi.

I use windows XP home, with sp2. Every time I open a folder, and especially when opening one with a lot of large files like movies, explorer.exe starts using 90-100% of the cpu.

Sometimes I hvae a similar problem with iexplore.exe, it starts using 100% of the cpu even though the page has finished loading.

I have tried to start the computer in safe mode, and run avast antivirus, adaware, and windows defender. As I write, wincleaner is running trough my system... But I just cant figure out why this is happening all the time.

Please help! :)

Advertisements

asantewah87

asantewah87

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
If you've done a scan and everything seems in order then the next best thing to do would be to download hijackthis (type it in google), then post it on here for the experts to check it out.

Edited by asantewah87, 15 December 2007 - 01:01 PM.

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Sorry, but I'll have to ask you NOT to follow what asantewah87 has said because doing so will result in a lot of extra jobs for the Malware Staff to handle.

Please, read HERE first. After doing so, and failing to remove the threat, THEN ONLY post your HJT log HERE.

~Kelvin

hanugro

hanugro

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Is this resolved, and how? I have similar problem. Also if I may add that it happen to a folder that hold MPEG2 encoded file (around 10-20GB). CPU utilization is about 30-50% on dual core AMD and last for 30-60s even though I have close the folder. Is this normal because of the size of the folder? I never noticed this before but since my PC has few lock ups due to CPU over heating a week ago (I incidentally disable the cpu fan), I start to notice more of system performance and CPU utilization. Thanks!

Edited by hanugro, 05 March 2008 - 06:19 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.
If for some reason you wanted to turn this back on again, simply enter: regsvr32 shmedia.dll.