Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor

• Please log in to reply

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Hey guys,

I'm not sure that i need a new one as i will find out once i get my RAM and see if it goes fast enough for me, but If I wouldl happen to upgrade my processor which is AMD Athlon XP 3000+ 2.17ghz to an AMD Phenom(i think that's what its called.) If not, what would i be able to upgrade it to?

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
First, what are you going to use it for? Gaming? Image processing and editing (Photoshop)? Normal browser usage? Overclocking?

Also, a current comparison chart (for gaming FPS):

Posted Image

Intel always outdo's AMD in processor reliability.

I've selected the best of Intel and AMD's to make a comparison. See how the best of AMD's processor fare against Intel. :)

~Kelvin

Edited by Kelvin, 15 December 2007 - 06:48 AM.

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
Well, I will be running a lot of stuff at a time more than likely, as well as gaming every now and then. Basically will be used for Photoediting/creating web design, and web development... and the usual things i do daily as well as watch some tv and movies...

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Ok then. Here:

Posted Image

You should get a pretty fair image of what is good for you now :)

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
none seem to be for athlon xp:S or can i have a different kind? i'm not fond of cpu's lol

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Then you might as well go for Phenom if you aren't fond of using Intel processors.

http://en.wikipedia....nom_(processor)

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
So I can have a phenom processor without it causing problems?

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
Yup. Definitely. Processors are able to cope with any hardware, not like Vista...

~Kelvin

mcdanielnc89

mcdanielnc89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
wow, i kind of figured it had to be able to work with the motheerbooard, I heard that some won't work with it, lol... Glad I'm on here, haha,,,