Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Make Vista search Local Domain instead of the Forest

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

We've just put our first Vista Business machine on our network a few days ago. Everytime we browse the network - to map a network drive, install a network printer, or simply browse the network - Vista scans through the entire forest. That hits our corporate office and all other businesses below them! As you can imagine, this creates network traffic and takes forever. I don't know why, but it doens't start picking up on the machines in our building until it's already discovered 600 or so machines in the forest within other buildings.

Is there any way to have Vista only search within our local domain when working on the network?

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you seen this article?
http://searchwinit.t...1273040,00.html

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Jacee:

I'm trying to figure out how to get Windows to discover only PCs in our building. The article you sent me to pertains to permissions and securities in Active Directory for file access.

Are you confused or did I miss something? :)

Thanks,

Magus