Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to remove winxp?

• Please log in to reply

DivaRae

DivaRae

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I didn't notice as I was reinstalling windows last week that I had accidentally unplugged my C drive. So, when I thought I was installing winxp sp1 on my C drive, it was actually installing on my D drive.

I won't go into the reasons, but I installed it without formatting the disk. Now I'd like to get rid of Windows on that drive, but leave all the other files intact, mostly for space reasons, and because I just don't want it there. Can it be done?

Thanks!!!

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Leave the D: drive alone at this point. Install XP on to the C: drive. When Windows is up and running copy files you don't want to lose from D: to C: drive.
Don't bother copying any programs or program files though - they'll have to be re-installed later since just copying them from one drive to another won't work.
Now go into Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management.
Click 'Disk Management' in the left pane.
In the bottom section of the right-hand pane, right-click drive D: and choose 'Format'
That will wipe everything off drive D:

Edited by pip22, 16 December 2007 - 12:58 PM.

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
pip22 is correct about installing XP on your C: drive. Just be sure that you don't format your D drive if you want to keep the data. To remove XP from it, simply delete the Windows folder and the Program Files folder unless there is something in there you need or you previously had your programs installed on that drive.

DivaRae

DivaRae

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Thank you for the suggestions! My D drive has about 200 gigs of data on it that I don't want to lose, but my C drive is only 80 gigs. If I just delete the Windows and Program Files folders, won't that still leave windows "stuff" (for lack of a better term) on there? I'm guessing the answer is to manually delete anything I can find that was left behind by windows, right?

ClickRight

ClickRight

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
There will still be some hidden and system files left over on the root of the D drive after you remove the program files and Windows folder. You can delete these if you wish.