Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

'Memory Testing' start up problem

• Please log in to reply

swinging_simian

swinging_simian

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi

I've just had the nightmare scenario of my main PC and my spare PC, which I use for backing up, fail at the same time :)

My older PC manages to get to the BIOS page, it recognises the motherboard(LVMM2) and the processor(Athlon XP 1600+) and then displays 'Memory Testing' and hangs. It won't even let me pres 'Del' to enter the setup screen.

I'm hoping this isn't a hard drive failure as I'm at risk of losing all of my data, as my other computer has had the hard drive fail.

After googling for the problem I hazarded a guess there might be some problems with the RAM chips, so I've taken them both out, swapped them around, only used one, then the other but I still get the same problem. This leads me to believe that I might have a motherboard problem. I've seen some suggestions that it might be the battery that needs replacing, but this is really guess work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Nath

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
I think you'll need to press 'Del' sooner (before the memory check) to get into the BIOS setup. You need to press and hold the 'Del' key almost as soon as you turn on the PC in my experience -- any later and you'll miss the opportunity to get in. When you're in, look for a 'Fast Boot' option and enable it. This will bypass the memory check --- then let's see what happens. (don't forget to "exit and save" when you alter any BIOS settings).

Edited by pip22, 16 December 2007 - 01:25 PM.

swinging_simian

swinging_simian

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
No success I'm afraid, I've tried holding 'Del' down as soon as I turn it on, trying to press it just as the BIOS screen start and just continually tapping it, but it always hangs as before.