Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After overclocking, system wont boot?

• Please log in to reply

callard

callard

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello, I have a Gigabyte GA-X38-DS5 with a Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 with G0 stepping and OCZ PC6400 RAM.

My problem is that every time I go into the BIOS setting and changed something in the M.I.B thing (Overclocking basically (I think)) and then "Save and Exit" the system turns off for a few seconds then turns back on, but when it turns back on it wont do anything no POST no nothing just completely bed... so then I clear the CMOS and all is well again. But this is annoying as it is stopping me from upping my systems performance.

Can anyone help me understand why it wont work after I alter such settings?

Cheers all... :)

Advertisements

kenichi_kun

kenichi_kun

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Most of the Gigabyte boards will not allow for overclocking thats why you are getting that error. I had the same problem before with a gigabyte motherboard, so I returned it and got an Asus motherboard and all ended well. Your system specs seem good but the motherboard is the downsider so replace it if possible. I stay away from Gigabyte motherboards now, Asus, DFI, Intel, and Abit are better for overclocking than the Gigabyte motherboard. Try updating your bios to the latest one and also try dropping your multiplier down and see if that helps. Also try overclocking by only 15MHz for the clock speed and see if you can boot up and if not then its the motherboard. Good luck!

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi callard,

can you describe what did you do with bios setting? I mean your fsb, vcore, vdimm, ram setting, vMCH, vfsb, and so on?..

and also what cooler that you use to cool your processor?

Gigabyte X38-DS5 should be excellent for overclocking, (but I only use P35-DS3R)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

Most of the Gigabyte boards will not allow for overclocking thats why you are getting that error.

While Gigabyte boards used to be a budget board, this is no longer the case. My gigabyte board overclock very well.

What is your CPU's current voltage?
What incrimients are you raising your CPU's speed by?
What's your RAM current voltage?
Can I have a link to your RAM?

James

Edited by james_8970, 20 December 2007 - 12:00 AM.