Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading an agp system for my lil brother...

• Please log in to reply

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
well, since im giving up my old agp comp to my brother, ill just decide to make it sweeter and give him a new video card.
i know agp options are very limited nowadays but id rather save some $ for a new laptop for university than spend much more to upgrade to a new pci-e mobo and all the other junk im supposed to buy with it.

so anyway, he would want to play CoD4/UT3 at medium settings with around 45+ fps

i want to know which video card would be able to make that with this old old old rig of mine

windows xp pro
p4 2.8 ghz
1gb ram
new video card etc etc

cards im thinking of:

7900 agp
7800 agp
x1950 <-- i dont think it will be realistic of me being able to find this though

any other suggestions?

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Ok THIS site that I have never heard of has the 1950 PRO 512Mb but I think the 7900 would be good for him.

Soorena

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
whoa
can i even trust that site..?
i was thinking of the 7800 if i couldnt find the 7900, i think a local computer store carries the 7800.
on top of that, the only other x1950 i could find was on ncix which was like $300.
im not willing to spend that much on a nearly obsolete video card =\

shinakuma9

shinakuma9

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
and futureshop has an EVGA 7800 gs oc for $199

ive heard from other people that a 7800 is enough for cod4, and my friend has the pci e counterpart of it and can run it at high settings and everything at 50+ fps