Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help with the fans / Overclocking with my Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

lreyes66

lreyes66

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ive been having troubles on the loudness and deciding which fans should be intake / outtake. Ok well currently i have 3 case fans 1 heatsinkfan and well a psu fan. My front case fan is a 120mm thats blowing air in. While the back 92mm fan and side 80mm fan and psu fans are blowing out. I bought a Coolermaster vortex 752 to replace my stock amd heatsink to i can cool it better and hope it was quieter, and well it is quieter and cools alot better but one of the case fans r loud. Do intake fans make more noise since there sucking in air? Also are the arrangements i have right now ok? Or should i make one of the back or side fan blow in as well so i have 2 outakes and 2 intakes? Previously i had the back 92mm fan blowing in as well soo that i had the front case fan blow and cool the lowerpart of my motherboard and have the back case fan blow on the upper part of the motherboard but i changed it because i thought it was blowing air into the heatsink fan making it louder but im not sure anymore.

Also i might as well ask another question while im at it lol. Im trying to overclock my athlon 64 x2 4000 processor on my Asus m2a-mvp mother board. I currently have it set to 235mhz x 10.5 so its 2468 mhz when the originall speed is 2100 mhz. Ive seen many people able to go up to 2.8ghz+ but If i go any higher then 235 my pc wont boot. Im trying to change the voltage but im not sure which one. The Vcore voltage seems to be locked but theres also another kind of voltage the VID voltage that i could change but dont want to risk it till i make sure. Does anyone have a motherboard like mine or similar or just knows anything about it that can help me?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The ability of overclocking is dependent mainly on the quality of the memory you have installed as well as other variables - just because everybody else can overclock to 2.8Ghz doesn't mean you're going to be able to.

As to the fans - fans on the back blow out, fans on the front blow in is the general rule, however a lot depends on your environment. If its sitting in an enclosed space, then a fan should be pulling in air from the front. As a general rule, case fans on the back should blow out to help expel hot air that hangs around the main processor area, especially in warmer weather. A case that sits somewhere with air all around it will probably be happy with just a side fan, the main processor fan and the fan in the power supply.

lreyes66

lreyes66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
Ive been over clock my gskill (2x1gb) sticks that from 5-5-5-15-2t to 4-4-4-12 but only problem is i cant set voltage for cpu.

also i do have my back fan blowing out and front fan blowing in. But what would u suggest i do with side? The side fan is somewhat weak cuz it came with the case but should i have it blow in because it sits ontop of my ram/ and a bit over the cpu fan as well. I might even consider buying a new 80mm green led to replace the current side one.

*edit* Also i am also having trouble with graphics card overclocking program. I can seem to get ati tool .27 b4 or any of the beta and the catalyst overdriver progam to work with my sapphire hd3850 512 because if i do auto it crashes and every time i reboot the video would crash again when i get to the desktop. The only solution to fix it is to end CCC process and uniinstall/ reinstall cataylst all over again

Edited by lreyes66, 18 December 2007 - 12:09 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Like I say, a lot depends on the environment. It won't hurt to try it though, see if it affects the temperatures.

On the graphics card, because that's such a new card you may find the Ati Tools and what not won't work with it until newer versions are available.

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
Blowing air in as Neil Jones suggested will give the air of the outside inside, so if the outside is cold it will get cooler inside but if you have heating turned on then it will blow hot air in. Or if you blow air out, it will blow the hot air coming from the heatsink of the CPU out which will cool the Case better. This all depends how neat your case is because if you have wires everywhere then you may have bad airflow.

Soorena