Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinXP not working - running Win 98

• Please log in to reply

Adydolan

Adydolan

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

I've been without Win XP for a few weeks now. It suddenly failed, leaving a blank grey screen which would not accept any inputs. After trying to reboot, it stalled at the Microsoft Windows logo.

I could not find my Win XP disc anywhere. In an attempt to access files on the PC, I was forced to install Win 98.

The PC is now stuck in Win 98 (horrible), and I cannot get Win XP back. Please help!

Ady.

Advertisements

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Hi Adydolan,

When you say it stalled at the misrosoft windows logo, is this when you tried to install XP or when it tried to boot into XP?

Also try safe mode? Tap the F8 key before windows starts and see if that works?

Adydolan

Adydolan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

It stalled following the initial crash. When trying to reboot, it continued to stall at every attempt.

I loaded Win 98 as an emergency measure as I can't locate my XP disc, and I desperately needed to access the PC to get a file from the hard drive.

As it's now running Win 98, pressing F8 just gets me to the safe mode for Win 98.

A new folder has been created for the Windows 98 files (Windows.000) but the folder for the Windows XP files still exists.

HELP I want my XP back - Win 98 is killing me!

Adydolan

Adydolan

Adydolan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
To clarify, it is booting in Win 98, not XP.

Adrenalin

Adrenalin

• PipPipPip
  • 451 posts
Ok,

I hear what you saying, try finding your XP disc, when this happened to me, it was a driver issue that I had just downloaded from VIA, which happens to be the latest update, however their update has some kind of bug in it. Have you tried a repair install?

Find out how to do that, here

Let us know how it goes and if you find the CD. If not, we'll have to think of some other fix for you.

Edited by Adrenalin, 17 December 2007 - 04:05 PM.

Adydolan

Adydolan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi

I've literally turned the place upside down in the hope of finding the CD (in the middle of a house move), but with no success.

Regarding the similar problem that you had, the computer crashed shortly after I inserted an internet headset into the rear of the PC.

STILL CAN'T FIND THE XP CD!

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Okay, give this a try:

Download the CD iso image of the Recovery Console from HERE. Create a bootable CD using whatever burning software you have.

Note: You create a CD from the iso image, you don't burn the iso image to cd. If you don't have burner software that supports iso images, you can install http://www.deepburner.com/

Boot the Recovery Console CD you just created.

Follow directions here to repair the XP boot loader: Install Windows 98 after Windows XP

Adydolan

Adydolan

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
You, my friend, are a f*cking genius.

Next time you're in London, drinks on me. Thanks again.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
I do take good notes :)

Does that mean you're back in business with XP? If so that's very good to hear.