Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Burned DVD-R not reading/skipping

• Please log in to reply

Keri329

Keri329

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
We got our wedding DVD made from a friend a couple years ago. It is burned on a Sony DVD-R Version 2.0 /1X-4X. It played fine at first, but I put it in just the other day and our PC won't read it. It gives the message of "Cannot play DVD. DVD decoder not installed" or something like that. I put it in our PS2 and it pulls up the main menu fine but then when I go to start the movie part, it plays for a minute then skips then just stops and says "Cannot read disc". HELP! I'm freaking out! These are our wedding memories! Can I maybe burn it onto a new DVD, or maybe put it back on VHS? I just don't know what to do. THANKS.

Advertisements

Kelvin

Kelvin

• PipPipPip
  • 921 posts
I think it might be scratched/dirty, since it's a few years back since the DVD was burnt. Try wiping it with a SMOOTH cloth until it shines without having any fingerprints/tiny particles of dust on it.

If it doesn't work, then probably your disk might be corrupted.

~Kelvin

Keri329

Keri329

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It's not scracthed at all! I've hardly even taken it out of it's case, maybe 1 time. I'm pretty positive this is not what the problem is. Any other ideas??? What does it mean if it's corrupt? How do I fix that?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try playing the dvd in another computer to see if it's your player itself ...

Edited by happyrck, 26 December 2007 - 09:12 AM.