Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing

• Please log in to reply

crawlins

crawlins

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, I'm a not very informed on what info you may need but I will give all info that MAY help...

The problem started yesterday when I noticed a problem with what I believed to be my video card. On black parts of the screen I noticed colored pixels that would move as I scrolled.
Then today I was playing one of my MMO's and it froze up twice about 10sec into playing both times with repeating sound as it was froze and both times I had to power cycle to get out.

Then I decided to clean up my system a little and uninstall a few programs and twice while deleting programs my computer froze up completely.

Not sure what I should do...let me know if more info will help,

Thank you

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The coloured pixels are known as artifacts and generally mean the video card is on the way out and should be replaced. Even more the case if artifacts appear on screen during instances where there is no driver involvement at all (such as in the BIOS and on the POST screen). Alternatively out-of-date drivers (if the artifacts appear in Windows) can cause this.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
Hi, do you use vga card? or integrated video?

if you use vga card, you might want to clean its heatsink/fan and re-apply thermalpaste on its chip (below the heatsink/fan)

--edit--
please be careful if you decide to re-apply thermalpaste as most thermalpaste are conductive.. :) the best thermalpaste to use is the non-conducting such as Artic Cooling MX-2 or CoolerMaster Nano Fusion.

Edited by fenzodahl512, 19 December 2007 - 05:00 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts

Hi, do you use vga card? or integrated video?

if you use vga card, you might want to clean its heatsink/fan and re-apply thermalpaste on its chip (below the heatsink/fan)

--edit--
please be careful if you decide to re-apply thermalpaste as most thermalpaste are conductive.. :) the best thermalpaste to use is the non-conducting such as Artic Cooling MX-2 or CoolerMaster Nano Fusion.

If the OP has a separate graphics card and said card is under warranty, taking it to pieces as described above will invalidate the warranty.
The issues described by the OP are most likely driver related.