Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adobe Reader 6 and updates

• Please log in to reply

emmkay2

emmkay2

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
hi, it's me again. the one w/the old WinME system w/problems.

i'm @ the point where i believe the best thing for me to do is a complete reinstall of my Win ME. It's a Gateway sys and i have all the original disks, etc. that came w/the desktop PC. what i can't find on the net are downloads for Reader 6 and it's updates. can anyone help me locate? are they still available somewhere?

i found this here: http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/windows.html

but i don't know if it applies to using just for Mozilla. can it be used for IE 6, as well?

appreciate any help/info you can give me. i've been learning great stuff here, and am becoming far more confident about all things geek. :) thanks for that!

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
One of these may be what you want:
Adobe Reader 6.0.6 update - multiple languages
Search result for adobe reader 6 free download
Adobe Reader 7.0 (Says for ME)

Ron

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks for those links, Ron -- i'd already been to 2 of them, but not the 2cows one. however, i can't find anywhere else on the net that AR7 is for ME, and i'm leary about downloading something from 2cows that might be a problem.

the brothersoft site lists AR6 but the link is either dead, or it leads to AR7 links, which clearly state in sys requirements ME not to be one of them.

i guess i can always just go w/the multiple languages one, though i only need English.

is it possible for me to somehow download or backup my own original downloaded copy of AR6 on this machine to CDRW? if yes, how would i do that? just a simple D&D of the Adobe folder to the CDR drive?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
The AR 7 should be fine as tucow.com is a well know DL site. The info states

I would make a Restore Point before installing any software. The AR7 should be installed in its own folder just in case you want to try installing AR6 at a later date.

You couldn't get to this page from brothersoft.com: Adobe 6 DL?

Doubt if you'll be able to use your own AR6 folder unless it contains all the necessary files that were originally installed. Then you have the Registry entries that were probably made at install and these must be replaced. Take it that you don't have a copy of the original install executable in the folder?

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 18 December 2007 - 05:04 PM.

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
ok, thanks, ron. i appreciate your confidence in 2cows, makes me feel better.

no, for some reason, i never did get to that page w/that AR6 download link @ brothersoft, and i clicked on every 6 link they had, i could find. thanks!

i do have an AR6.0.1 folder and a AR Windows Installer in the Windows Cache, but a specific file/folder search for the exe file didn't turn up one. perhaps i'm not searching for correct name/word(s)? Anyhow, with the 6.0 link above i'll have it now.

if i download that Brothersoft AR6 file to a CDRW, is there any reason i can't then load AR6 onto my sys from that disk? is there anything 'special' i need to know in order to do it that way?

i ask because where we live has absolutely terrible phone service and even w/a 56K dialup we don't ever run faster than 28K. downloading from website links takes forever, with usually many problems completing downloads. i can go to a friends house a few miles away & download to disk on their cable connected PC.

thank you again! i hope this complete ME reinstall works out well. i know it's an old OS but it's the one my daughter uses. if it goes, she's going to want to use my XP Pro, and nobody touches that machine but me. :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It's hard to tell whether your original Adobe 6 install executable was named AdbeReader60.exe or not. I keep all my DLs in a "My Downloads" folder. The ones in ZIP form are in a "My ZIP DLs" folder. I unzip them in this folder within their own folder names. Simple enough for me to find them. :)

It shouldn't be any problem how you are able to click on the AdbeReader60.exe file to initiate install. Even from a diskette would work. I remember the long waits for a DL to complete when I had dialup so don't blame you for wanting to use a faster method. Let me know how it goes.

BTW, I really liked Windows ME although many didn't. I have gone from DOS right on through to Win XP so far. If forced to use Vista, I'll probably go to Linux.

Ron

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
thanks again so much for your time and help.

yeah, what you say about placing all downloads in such folders on the desktop is what i should have been doing all along, but nobody told me that. :) i finally figured it out, and it's what i do now. much easier to back everything up too.

wish me luck! :)

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I keep mine in the My Documents folder, but Desktop folder is just as good. Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Ron

emmkay2

emmkay2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Merry Christmas to you, too!

oh! i thought of another "one more qestion." :) do you (or anybody else, here) know of an FREE anti-spyware download for Win ME? i've been using ACG anti-virus but their spy checker isn't for ME systems.

thanks!

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Spybot Search & Destroy is one I found. That's the only one I can recommend that is still usable on ME.

Ron