Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem connecting internet in XP

• Please log in to reply

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i use MCafee antivirus,, i even tried uninstalling the antivirus and disenabled the firewall but nothin works

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
well.... you can have a look at this link :
http://www.castlecop...lease_help.html
I know related to symantic but it may help you for winsock

BTW, did you try to use ipconfig /all as Ztruker said?????? and you didn't even tell us when the problem began???

Edited by SUPERIOR, 22 December 2007 - 02:55 AM.

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
Wait .... did you try another browser like : mozilla, opera, netscape, avast,...anyone except IE
or try this command in command prompt :
ping www.google.com -t and tell us the result

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
yup mozilla firefox, minefield, opera, safari,,, nothin works

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
ipconfig/all:
when i use this it shows this

windows ip configuration

thats it nothing at all

ping www.google.com:

it says that it couldnt connect to the server

this problem started about a month back, i tried and here i am tryin again

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
here is what i havent told you guys before,, i am using two operating systems and the internet works awesomely well in one of the them and it doesnt work in XP, now that i have tried winsock.fix but still no result.. still it says "cannot connect to the server" i try in IE and also in safari web browser... still no result??? and i have mentioned about the ping and ipconfig/all previously.. i am able to ping any website succesfully in the other OS but not in XP, netstat works well and also ipconfig/all.. but it doesnt work in XP..

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
to me, your problem is a big one, try to do this as follow :
1) try to go in safe mode with network and try internet there. If works fine then your prob maybe caused by some programmes(firewall, antivirus,...)

2) if it doesn't work, try to create another account. If it works then your prob stands for missing or corrupted registers under (Hkey_Current_user)

3) if it goes in vain, try to do a system restore. if it's useless, then you have some file missing or corrupted

or just look at "gpedit.msc" and "services.msc" just to make sure if things go proper

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What firewall are you using. Have you installed one or are you using the default Windows Firewall that is turned on automatically in a XP SP2 system? In either case, try turning it off briefly, see if that helps. If yes then turn it back on and go into it's options to figure out how to allow your browsers to connect to the internet. DO NOT run for very long without a firewall active, that's is an open invitation to disaster.

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i am using the default windows firewall, as you have told me ztruker, i have turned it off briefly and tried but still in vain, no result, and for superior, i havent tried internet in SAFE MODE so i will try it and post you the result, help me out dudes!!! :)

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
hi
i have forget to tell you,, my task manager is also disabled in XP, i cannot use since this problem occured

Advertisements

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
then.... there is a big chance.... you have got infected
I advise you to go to hijackthis forum

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
so should i have to install the hijackthis log file and try using it or shall i go for the steps you have told me to do???
safe mode operation???

SUPERIOR

SUPERIOR

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
is there any other symptom ???????
if you don't have other
not bad to try the steps first that I told you ...so we can limit the problem
or you can do hijackthis if you are in safety then do the steps.... although I think you have corrupted files

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Read through this area:
Malware Removal Guides and Tutorials

Post your HijackThis log here:
Malware Removal - HijackThis™ Logs Go Here

Be patient as the malware removal experts are extremely busy and it may take a day or three for them to get to you.