Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE6.0.280

• Please log in to reply

ScottAz

ScottAz

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I use win 2000 on a Dell workstation precision 450 with over a gig of ram....

Recently, I can't say exactly when, IE6 has started to take over a minute to load when I click the desktop icon.

I seem to think it use to only take a few seconds, maybe 10-15 but now I can read the mornibg paper while waiting for it.

I ran TREND micro and it removed some adware, ran it again and it said it was clean but it is still soooo slow.

Any suggestions?

I am on DSL if that helps and on a wireless-G broadband router.

Thanks,

Scott

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
I posted a hijack log on 12-19

then I posted in the waiting room on 12-23

Have not had a reply from either place.

Thanks,

Scott

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
This may or may not be related: Microsoft Security Update Cripples Internet Explorer.

This is the one to check as to whether you had it installed: MS07-069: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer

Please let the Malware people complete helping you as it is always worthwhile.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 December 2007 - 05:44 PM.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
You could be right in that the update has caused this problem.

I did download the update and that is when the issue started.

I have read what the experts say and notice they have nothing to say about win 2000. Not being a computer expert I have to ask that if I download the patch they suggest for win XP will that help or hinder the repair process?

Or should I just wait and call MS security when they open?

Thanks,

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
It seems to affect only Win XP and Vista. Lots of people having problems with it if they are using these OSes.

You could look in the Add/Remove Programs Utility of Control panel if Win 2000 has one (don't use and have never used Win 2000). Just check the List Updates box and search for the Update after window populates.

Ron

Windows Vista Community

Edited by Major Payne, 30 December 2007 - 10:03 AM.

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Ron:

Win 2000 does have an add/remove option and the update that may be the root cause of this problem is listed there.

Is it okay to just remove it using that utility or could I face more issues if I delete the update?

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yes. Use the Add/Remove Programs Utility only to remove the Update. If it cures the problem, then you're good to go. Otherwise, you can always install the Update again from Windows Update site.

Ron

ScottAz

ScottAz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Seems that the update was the major part of the connection problem.

I removed the update as suggested and now connect in about 30 seconds. Still longer than before but a huge improvement.

Many thanks.

Scott

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
That was the only update reported to have a problem, but it doesn't mean there isn't another one that was issued the same day or earlier that has a problem too. :) Glad it helped to a certain extent by removing it.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 01 January 2008 - 09:01 PM.