Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer not starting.

• Please log in to reply

zoneykid

zoneykid

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I've had this problem for a few weeks now, it first started when the computer was freezing at random times(probably), it was happening before and i got a new dvd-drive, psu and hard drive and that seemed to fix it but then after a few weeks it started happening again.

I've tried to fix it but i dont have any means to test the hardware(a second 939 mobo or proc).

You can check my specs in my sig.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi zoneykid...

At first glance, I'd suspect a RAM conflict. Pull the Kingston module out. Then...when you try to start the machine, enter BIOS Setup, press F5, then F10, answer yes to save the settings, and let it try restart. This procedure will set the BIOS fail safe defaults which will reset the RAM timings...you will also have to reset the boot priority if you had ever changed that.

Let us know if this allows the machine to boot.

wannabe1

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I cant really do what you said since my computer justs powers up(fans and lights go on, the hard disks start spinning) but nothing pops up on screen so I can't even get into bios, I've also tried having just one stick of ram and no sticks of ram(although that probably didnt do much since my internal speaker doesn't work), switching the slot where the video card is in and changing the power supplies all to no avail.

I'm currently suspecting the motherboard, CPU or video card, although it might be anything.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
you may want to try start your pc with ONLY processor (with hsf of course), one stick of ram, monitor attached, PSU, vga card (if any) and motherboard (of course :) ). No hard disk, dvd, keyboard, mouse, sound card etc. try to look if you can post into bios, troubleshoot from there with adding one component at a time :)

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
Ive tried that already with the mobo on a cardboard box, im thinking it could be the mobo since well nothing i try is working.

So far i've tried:
Having one/no sticks of ram in the computer.
Taking out the proc cleaning it reapplying thermal paste and putting it back in.
Putting the mobo on a cardboard box with only the very basic essentials.(Video card, proc and ram)
Switching the slots of the video card.
Using a different power supply.

At the moment im thinking of getting a new case cause i want a new one and my current internal speaker is not working(one of the wires detached from the soldering on the speaker, and all of the ones in the other computers are connected directly to the motherboard not with wires)

I'm wondering whether i should get a new motherboard and proc along with it, or try and fix the old one.

Edited by zoneykid, 19 December 2007 - 08:18 PM.

fenzodahl512

fenzodahl512

• Malware Removal
  • 9,863 posts
hi, your pc cannot boot without ram (at least must have a single ram attached). If the very basic setup also failed to boot, I can't think anything but motherboard failure. however, let us wait for experts review :)

- also try to clean and re-apply thermalpaste on your northbridge heasink :)

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

hi, your pc cannot boot without ram (at least must have a single ram attached).

Yes but it can boot into BIOS, showing us whether or not the motherboard is to blame. This method will rule out the memory and possibly the motherboard should we already know that the video card is good. Don't remove the north bridge heatsink to reapply thermal paste.
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 December 2007 - 11:18 PM.

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
So is my motherboard pretty much dead? Cause it wont even boot into bios without ram the screen just stays blank.

Because if so, i don't mind buying a new one along with a new processor, i know i can just get a motherboard to fit my processor but i want a new processor since my old one is getting outdated(socket 939).

Edited by zoneykid, 19 December 2007 - 11:35 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
To be honest, without an internal speaker or another computer to test components on, we are the blind leading the blind.
While there is a good chance that you motherboard may be dead, there is no guarantee at this point.
By any chance can you place your video card into someone else's computer to verify that it does indeed work.
James

zoneykid

zoneykid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts
I cant test the video card since i have the only computer of everyone i know with PCI-E.

I'll just buy a new motherboard and if theres still a problem i'll return it and get a new video card to see if it helps

Edited by zoneykid, 19 December 2007 - 11:58 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

I'll just buy a new motherboard and if theres still a problem i'll return it and get a new video card to see if it helps

That's your call. Remember, I cannot guarantee at this point if your motherboard is at fault, though I'm leaning in that direction at this point.
If you are completely unsure, you could send it in to a local shop and they could take a check for you, but this'll likely cost half as much as buying a new motherboard......
James