Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Errors Opening Excel 2002

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I receive an error everytime I open or close an Excel spreadsheet. It doesnt matter if I open a blank document or an existing file. I have done the Detect and Repair as well as a full uninstall and re-install of Office 2002. Nothing has helped so far.

The error says:
"Object library invalid or contains references to object definitions that could not be found"

Also I made sure that I removed or disabled all of my Add-Ins so nothing starts up when excel starts, or at least nothing should start.

I am kinda at a lose here, all the info I found was people receiving this error when trying to execute something, not simply clicking on the link to open excel.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello jaxisland,

Are you using any macros or VBA logic in the Excel file you are working with? Do you make use of a Personal.xls document? Are there any macros listed on the Tools | Macros window?

Regards,

Ax

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
It is not dependant on the file, even a blank file does it. No macros and no VBA. I am working with a blank sheet.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Excel can load other files when it is opened up as standard functionality. Can you press Alt-F11 and let me know if you see any code within it?

Also, check to make sure there are no files in the following Excel startup directories:
• C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Xlstart
• C:\Documents and Settings\User name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

You may need to choose the "Show hidden files and folders" from the Tools | Folder Options View tab in Explorer.

Ax

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Hitting Alt+F11 brings up a blank VB Book. But C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\Xlstart had InsertText.xla

I deleted the file and the error goes away.

Thanks for the help.

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
:) Glad to hear that resolved your issue. It was my pleasure assisting, you're welcome!

Ax

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
congratulations jax! you finally got someone besides me to answer one of your questions HAHAHA