Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My New Gaming System

• Please log in to reply

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Pip
  • 9 posts
This is my setup I need an opinion on this system. I would like to get 8 GBs of RAM would it be ok on this system or no?

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Are you using an old hard drive and DVD writer? Those are missing on your list.
I think 8GB is a little too much and your system won't recognize all that unless you're using a 64-bit operating system.
If you look at the specs of your motherboard, it says that the Maximum Memory Supported is 8GB. But 4gb should be well enough for whatever you're going to use your computer.

A question though, what are you going to use this computer for? Also do you have a copy of an OS already?

Edited by kamille316, 19 December 2007 - 05:44 PM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Hello, I would suggest a XFX geforce 8800 if you are planning to do some heavy games. I have heard good reviews about those... Maybe you could look on tiger direct, new egg, or ebay. (If you're intrested.)

-AgentMES

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i got 64bit windows vista ultimate and 80 gb sata drive ( ya i no low) and yes i got dvd and cd drives... I will use this computer for everything graohics, games , movies, music an all around computer mostly games though. and a server at times. You think i will have overheating issues? my friend said my cpu wont b able 2 handle 8 gbs of ram cause it not fast enough to search through the 8gbs of ram

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
and yes I don't have the money to get 8800 but i will look to upgrade in the future

Edited by hellraiser5010, 19 December 2007 - 06:23 PM.

AgentMES

AgentMES

Banned Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
Alright, just thought i'd put my 2 cents in if you don't mind lol. I like your build! What kind of games are you looking to play? Two games i personally recommend are; Far Cry, and "Splinter Cell double agent"

Wish i could play double agent, lol but i've only got a geforce fx 5600 :)

I've played: Splinter Cell, Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, And Splinter Cell Chaos Theory. They were all SUPER COOL!

I am looking forward to: Splinter Cell Conviction... (Supposed to be coming out soon.)

Well... Anyway have fun!

-AgentMES

Edited by AgentMES, 19 December 2007 - 08:05 PM.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts

my friend said my cpu wont b able 2 handle 8 gbs of ram cause it not fast enough to search through the 8gbs of ram

He is wrong. Unless you do a lot of photoshop and the images to change are rather large, I'd suggest investing into a better GPU and 4GB of rather rather then the alternative. 4GB of RAM is plenty today.
At a bare minimum, I'd suggest a HD3850 (roughly the same price as a 8600GTS).
You need to change that PSU. take a look at this one
What's your budget?
James

Edited by james_8970, 19 December 2007 - 09:25 PM.

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ya I plan on upgrading in the future but as of now I don't have the money so this is just going to have to do lol.

Any other opinions? Would be much appreciated

Thanks

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
So are you getting 4GB of RAM, or are you still getting 8GB of RAM?
James

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ya 8 GBs just for the [bleep] of it but this is what my friend is saying

" I was just asking you only use 2 chips. Your CPU can handle it fine yeh thats what the other kid said but i think your motherbaord uses passive heating itll get way to HOT dont EVER overclock that much ram. Also your timinings with that much ram man will be horrible. It wasnt made to operate that quickly thats why there's DDR3."

"i know how ram works and with a board that is passively cooled its going to get hot."

I would like the answer of an expert because this kid is a senior in high school and thinks he knows so much [bleep]. So I would like to know if he is right or not.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just want to add my 2 cents worth...

What is the Right Amount of Memory for Vista?

Generally speaking more computer memory is better than less. However, installing more than 2GB of RAM doesn't necessarily translate into a faster Vista desktop PC. Only a few applications may see improvement, and then the law of diminishing returns kicks in. So 2GB of RAM is generally considered the sweet spot for Windows Vista. As the operating system matures, along with supporting software, it's possible that number will climb.

If More RAM is Better, is a Lot More RAM Even Better?

Short answer, no. If a PC is installed with 4GB of system memory, the computer itself will register 4GB but Windows Vista/XP will not be able to recognize it all. It's nothing to fret over, this is a normal limitation with 32 bit operating systems. The operating system will report 3.5GB or so, but the "missing memory" (varies between 500MB-750MB) is there, reserved for hardware devices.

It's possible to install more than 4GB of memory in a PC, but that will require the use of Physical Address Extensions (PAE). This feature is primarily a workstation/server option, and realistically there isn't much need for that much memory in a desktop system. Another option is to install Microsoft WindowsXP 64 bit Edition, or the 64 bit version of Windows Vista

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ya I have Windows Vista 64 Bit. DO you think with that program it will speed things up and yes I know 8 GBS is more than neccesary but it will also prepare me for the future so I will be good for awhile RAM wise.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
happyrck, I'm going to have to disagree in part.
Yes the law of diminishing returns does kick in, but as time moves on there will be greater and greater demand for RAM, at current prices of DDR2, a 4GB kit can be found for less then 100$. Probably the lowest price that it'll ever be as prices are bound to bounce back up at one point or another. While I think 8GB is excessive at this time, 4GB will shortly become the norm. I mean, I'm already seeing computers selling for 1000$ that have 3GB+ RAM.

hellraiser you are missing the point, you are severely starving your computer of resources by not investing more money into your GPU and power supply and less into RAM. Unless you use Photoshop you really don't need that much RAM, that being said, I doubt it would be much faster with anything more then 4GB.
James

Edited by james_8970, 20 December 2007 - 01:34 PM.

hellraiser5010

hellraiser5010

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank you I do use photoshop, flash, dreamweaver and i also watch movies, play music and play games. This computer will be an all around computer but atm I do not have the budget to pay for a better graphics card so 8600 will jus have to do for now and I plan on using all 8 GBs of RAM for the fact that at times i will use it as a server for LAN or internet games. How big of a Power SUpply would you suggest. I used a calculater and it said that it would need about 550 Watts that why i got a 600 watt

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I am going to have to strongly agree with James here. You say that this computer will mainly be for gaming. You will have a much better gaming system if you drop 4GB of RAM and use that cash to get at least a HD3850, as James suggested. Having 8GB of RAM is not necessary for successfully running a server. A fast internet connection is, but you have no control over that other than changing ISPs.

And as James said, happyrck's post is irrelevant since you will be using 64-bit Vista.