Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building new system next year

• Please log in to reply

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
Hey, just registered and would like some advice please! :)

Next year I'm thinking of building a complete new system for extreme gaming, just wanted some general advice really e.g. SLi/crossfire or AMD/Intel.

If possible could you give me some prices aswell?

Cheers, Jim

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
It will all depend on how much money you're willing to spend on this system.
Can you please tell us your budget? Do you have a preference on where you're going to buy the parts?

Kamille

tiroshii

tiroshii

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
Hmm. If you're building it next year, there isn't much point in looking now, as there will be loads of new parts out by then, and the prices would have changed dramatically after Christmas. :)

gambLe1109

gambLe1109

• PipPip
  • 55 posts
If you're only looking at new parts, then stay away from AMD. That is of course if you're only thinking about the quad-core processors, because Intel's QCs beat the AMD QCs in benchmarks. The AMD processors of last year stand up to Intel's quite nicely, but the newer processors are swinging in favor of Intel at the moment. As far as SLI or CrossFire, I am an nVidia fan. The first video card I ever bought was an ATI card, and I returned it, and got a 6600GT which served me well for 2 whole years on a P4 2.8GHz, playing most modern games at playable FPS (50+), and older games like Counter-Strike 1.6 at a constant 100 FPS. I just upgraded to a 7900GS because it was on sale, and I'm more than happy with my purchase. Now, the ATI models in the same range may be just as good, I'm not 100% sure as I didn't check out all of them, but I'd recommend googling some benchmark comparisons of the nVidia and ATI cards and see the results. Never buy something because the price looks nice, or the descriptions of the products, because [bleep], either ATI or nVidia could sell 3 or 4 year old cards and will still make it look like the best thing on the market with the way they word it on the box. Trust the benchmarks.

Edited by gambLe1109, 20 December 2007 - 06:15 PM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
I've never used an Intel processor, always been an AMD boy, what Intel QC's would you recommend? I think my budget is going to be about £1200 hopefully. My usual places are: www.overclockers.co.uk and www.ebuyer.co.uk.

I'm keeping my current HDDs as they are only a few months old :)