Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mouse driver corrupted

• Please log in to reply

klockdoc

klockdoc

• PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I have a Millineum Edition on my computer. The mouse quit working. It says the file vmouse.vxd driver is damaged. I went to microsoft and it explained about the system.ini file. I looked it over, but cannot tell if there is stuff there that shouldn't be. Here it is

*wBE zE РYT &
r0:\z7z*2#AoxRNFUGRǿK93M՞&
{\LPU6%c$_ a>W7Ꮍ;Z0pz3rw'`>9|Cfo:_i[. ^
bqwPVm3re1D.[n@=ȸziOέa~8E, LW
@0 ~~X|7$ M&Z!v>W
@%3{]fI qR_B,G$28-hGvdܢsE#qљwT:j u|(eۄfٽ P(i.BA&If͈&Aw׶1p?+a 2C(tsڇƒ/(0"8N1ITGT(=uŕS[3Bu;[T&^k]~p3Odtf􉚼vJ׋F ¨ќ
]t:oL*BYAW,F#l-l*`PiڕmΩ>} 2y{Qty&AD=g]AAXJss*vխ"3z%š-QL{}28Krd0teZ,s2%QSgw&QNzK
f^x$٧6]!@Ύﺎ
!H>vML.
e+vln"L
aEw ]
~Wx}^*L_F.Xvr57Nj^~);Fq0(:'Ş'8pVv4}:ٵ7J #o7^LLb4>ѺS5찊/İ0K`ZNVƓ <3<mv?<_hpIdBT嚡8+u
˒,Ls֪ďbg<BeXM?h`fcinVVB-'q`){RADjDϖolEhAޭMm[23 jK,~yd0 ]cr~[rvP9! 錡qj>9ak}|D4_NU뭂
$yM 3.$7#Xn
n
>Q}LB\7k{qRv&@8|_ :CQԢBD{wZg<w2}al@\{4}O;Ao>j(*6V&ɟfQGE+K#\#$[hC5:ɅY+7>PNKQ_FƉCs)ZޭbHo -ƾ̱ͺ@ ch&j1@QQ!]ҒzΤz|Ԓm==1b@$э _;Nzf VQ Tآ&<_WyGg9L[WER=M˸'߅DDbT{VZ8Mte[d+!ZaKZ"T<iYKq=ޘl|"}Z|fž8,sωQdzo:6[W~fc-ts;(?.PHܥYcbZWyQK-C&Qyr#&{7F6^hb0HOi(5n,j\N6`Z}2[5dy6AG#w*Z'__:Ab4QP&&0ɠD mz-`ʴ15tqsP7d2>G;4+H"* ej9K. ^߹OP<UӛuWp`AwLV^E8ss.g ̞8_wgb_6=D PD-Wc:bmV!TC&NO PJ5  P$hͷkY
<(V5d+)$s`Q]E@
y/IdyMaA9mmB/8܈9Uh ]3s՛uE
%oKan~^2q)r}E,0"9A?. U򀡔g(=s۟2ZفI#(yne4͘$1Bn\\R>CVFGyT|3̈́n8Ji*$`  lj+E7QpΔv.,

[boot]
DisplayFallback=0
mouse.drv=mouse.drv
*DisplayFallback=0

[Password Lists]
DEFAULT=C:\WINDOWS\DEFAU001.PWL
[boot.description]
mouse.drv=Microsoft Mouse

[386Enh]
mouse=*vmouse, msmouse.vxd

DEFAULT=C:\WINDOWS\DEFAU000.PWL

Also, the display screen is in a mosiac (sp?) pattern. It also does not give me the ability to change the setting in the display program.

I checked the system restore, but, there was never a set point recorded.

Any suggestions?

I have the ability to change to XP Pro. What would happen if I do. Would this overwrite the Millineum and what about all the programs?

Edited by klockdoc, 20 December 2007 - 11:59 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
System.ini is not a critical file under Windows Millennium. It stopped being critical with the release of Windows 95. It only exists for compatibility purposes.

This error means what it says - the file is corrupt. Normally this can be resolved by running Scandisk and fixing everything it flags up, however it can be a sign of a hard drive on the way out.
However you may need to run Setup again over Windows to repair the files.

Re: XP Pro - if its an upgrade edition, it'll upgrade. If it's an OEM edition it will wipe the machine.

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
I contacted COMPAC. They gave me information on how to run setup again that was on the computer. However, when I tried to run the setup, it says I do not have enough conventional memory. How do I increase this so it will work?

klockdoc

klockdoc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

System.ini is not a critical file under Windows Millennium. It stopped being critical with the release of Windows 95. It only exists for compatibility purposes.

This error means what it says - the file is corrupt. Normally this can be resolved by running Scandisk and fixing everything it flags up, however it can be a sign of a hard drive on the way out.
However you may need to run Setup again over Windows to repair the files.

Re: XP Pro - if its an upgrade edition, it'll upgrade. If it's an OEM edition it will wipe the machine.

I ran setup again. The mouse would work in the safe mode, but, not in regular mode. I deleted the mouse driver, now it works ok but I have another problem. When I try to open a folder or the control panel\settings I get an error message EXPLORER HAS CAUSED AN ERROR IN WMPDXM.DLL , EXPLORER WILL NOW CLOSE. How do I correct this error?. Also, the display setting is at 800 x 600 and will not increase. Also, display is at 16 colors won't change to 256 colors

Edited by klockdoc, 27 December 2007 - 12:44 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
WMPDXM.DLL is part of Windows Media Player.
And being in 16 colours and 800x600 is caused because the display driver is corrupt.