Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

uneek

uneek

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I need some files on my hard drive that are on my computer, which will not log on even with a new XP disc in boot.

Would I be able to hook it up to another computer thats running XP and save the files to a floppy disc or burn them to a CD?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Yes, but you will need to take ownership of those files--how you do that depends on whether it is XP home or pro you are putting the drive in

uneek

uneek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Im putting it on Pro.

Is there a good site that can tell me how to do it step by step?

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Insert drive as slave to master drive or as master on it's own ide cable (use teh cd-rom)

start computer....windows will detect new drive, you may need to reboot.

Open MY COMPUTER, choose TOOLS > OPTIONS, choose VIEW tab, then uncheck USE SIMPLE FILE SHARING, close.

Choose the guest drive, choose DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS, choose the username you used to log in, right click, choose PROPERTIES, choose a user name or group, hit the ADVANCED button, go to the OWNERSHIP tab, change the owner to the user on the host system

uneek

uneek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Okay I hooked it all up and the computer detects the hard drive, the problem is I have to format the drive which will erase everything. Everytime I try and open the drive I get the message saying I need to format the drive.

Any clues without losing everything?

uneek

uneek

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
anyone?