Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with opening files and restart/shutdown hanging

• Please log in to reply

pj1959us

pj1959us

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Two recent problems I don't know are related or not:

1) When trying to open files (.pdf, .doc etc) the pop-up window appears that shows it is opening the file. It freezes and won't do anything. I have to ultimately start Task Manager to end task which then closes it and also closes the IE window. I have tried saving the files and the pop-up window still freezes and go through Task Manager again but when I look the file has been saved and the files open fine.

2) When restarting or shutting down the Shutting Down window just freezes and doesn't continue through. This began recently as well. I know it usually takes a while but I have let it sit and sit but it just won't continue on.

Are these problems related and any thoughts on how to correct the problems?

Thanks,
PJ

Advertisements

mazuk

mazuk

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
A few things you could try:

- In windows defender access software explorer and have a look at all the programs that start on boot up there could be some spyware hanging about in there.
- If you have a slow internet connection is will take sometime for these .pdf's to load and adobe acrobat reader really aint the best of apps when loading these files try foxit reader...
-There could be a chance of you having corrupt plugins in your web brower, try and get the newest plugins or update your applications to the newest version
- What are your pc specs? if your computer is old and full of rubbish could be giving you these performance issues.

pj1959us

pj1959us

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thank you so much for your reply...I thought I had requested to be notified when I received one so am just now finding it.

I just purchased this computer in late November and internet is through cable so I don't think those are the issues. It also happens when I try to run an .exe file.

I did look in Defender and do see a couple of programs there that I don't want to run at start up (nothing suspicious), even though this problem was occurring before I installed them.

I guess I have a dumb question...I can't seem to find how to disable those. When I highlight the program it doesn't allow me to Disable, etc and I opened the programs themselves to see if I could change any settings but don't see any options there either.

How do I update Defender so that I can disable those programs I don't want to run at start-up and see if this helps my problems??? :)

Thanks again,
PJ

P.S. - Oh and a weird thing...I had had a .pdf file hanging there for some time and when I checked the Defender and closed it (it froze by the way, lol) the .pdf file opened up! :)

Edited by pj1959us, 20 March 2008 - 04:46 PM.

moondog830

moondog830

• PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
I am replying in here as I'm having similar problems as well. My PC is only 4 weeks old and was running fine until last night.

Some of my programs take up to 5 minutes to finally open. Some don't start at all. Some start up and then freeze. I then have to open the task manager to shut them down and then I thought, I'll try rebooting the computer. The first time it froze during shut down so I had to do a hard shut down. Then when I finally went to shut it down
for the night ... it took approximately 15 minutes to finally shut down.

HELP PLEASE! It's bad enough I couldn't get my XP disk to let me install XP on this machine ... now that I'm getting used to Vista it wants to get stupid.

Thanks in advance as you great people ALWAYS help!

dog

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
pj, this article should help you with the programs that you don't want to run at startup:

http://www.howtogeek...-control-panel/