Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

reverse email searches

• Please log in to reply

Archaeopath

Archaeopath

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hiya,

I need to pick people's brains - I'm no techie so bear with me. I was wondering if there was a way of doing a reverse email search on a non-ISP email address (yahoo, lycos, etc).

I'm kinda being a bit 'stalked' and although I suspect who the person responsible is, it'd be nice to be able to prove it. The emails are not particularly threatening, but they do have a certain psycho quality to them.

Would really appreciate any and all help.

Becs

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you taken a look at the headers for these to see if they trace back to any e-mail addresses you recognize? There's so much SPAM being sent and so much malware that can spoof these addresses, it may be difficult.

You can also Google for the Find by E-mail Address URLs and take your pick.

Ron

Archaeopath

Archaeopath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The email address is from no-one I know, and they're not joke or wind-up emails. I've managed to trace the IP to a rough location.

They're not spam or anything similar - they're personal (in that they contain references to family names etc) and they're not automated as they're responding specifically to my replies. I wouldn't reply to anything that seemed like spam etc and I'm not too bad at spotting it; these emails are from a single individual with a grudge.

Any more help or advice would be really appreciated.

Becs

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
If you're sure you have it down to the right IP, you can contact them and file an abusive complaint. See this page referring to Spammers, but has info about procedures :

Internet Privacy

It's going to be difficult to obtain an actual address of the individual. Have you tried searching using various search engines for anything that links to the information you have?

Let me know if you need anything else. I'm hitting the sack after 20 hours of being up. Will try to give you more help later.

Ron

Archaeopath

Archaeopath

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Can I PM you with further details?

Becs