Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How can I fix partially installed XP

• Please log in to reply

Kipperkendall

Kipperkendall

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I had a system crash which seemed to effect registry keys on Windows XP Media Edition install (had the missing or corrupt file message). Running a Dell so only have the basic repair disks supplied. Tried to run XP repair option (not Repair Console) from disk - it ran for a while reloading XP files, but hit problems where file locations could not be found. Towards the end of installation, system aborted with blue screen message. When I try to restart system, it advises that the system is not fully installed and to please run Windows setup again but I cannot get system to boot from Dell XP disk. It is trying but doesn't recognise the disk in the drive. Guess partial install has messed things up?? There appear to be no hardware issues.

Any ideas how I can get over this? Any help much appreciated - have amerry xmas!

Edited by Kipperkendall, 23 December 2007 - 06:27 AM.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
An XP install, partial or otherwise, cannot prevent the computer from seeing or booting from the CD drive. Boot to BIOS Setup (press F1 or F2 or F10 or Del, whichever your computer uses) during the early part of the boot process, about the time you see the manufacturers logo. Does the CD drive show up there? If yes, then it is at lest being detected by the BIOS. Try pressing the Fn key to load defaults then save changes and reboot, see if that makes a difference. Also make sure the CD drive is set as the first boot device before doing the above.

If this is a desktop system, open the case and make sure the IDE cable and power connector are securely plugged in. Do this with power off. If they are okay then I suspect the CD drive is now defective.