Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My system runs fine then starts slowing

• Please log in to reply

sleeper78

sleeper78

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a cpmpaq presario SR2010NX desktop tower system.

1.8ghz amd cpu
768MB Memory 1--512 of pc4200 and 1-256 stick of pc-4200 533mhz frontside bus
1 hdd sata drive
1 IDE hdd

I keep upto date on all service packs and updates through the microsoft website. Here with in the last few months i've noticed some really bad slowing of
internet loading and application loading. Things would take forever to load up and I run cable broadband on my pc.

I have Norton Antivirus and Security the newest version installed on my pc and do scans often and check my harddrives for fragmentation. When they needed it I defrag them.

With the slow loading problem i've noticed that when ever i'd right click to close out a window, things were invisible but if i moused over the tabs would somewhat become evident that they were there. I'd restart my system and things would run pretty normal. What I did notice now as well was when ever i'd right click a new browser window would also pop up and it never done this before either. I did have only 512mb of memory and just increased it 256mb thinking it might help solve soe of the issues well it did load it a bit faster but not much.

I feel it might be something that was pre-installed by HP. Cause I had a issue as well when i'd reboot onc in awhile nothing would load and it would just have the hypen mark flashing in the top left corner. I'd restart again same thing. I'd have to totally unplug all power sources to my pc let it set and then plug it all back in before it would finally reboot properly.

I also noticed I have no control over cache levels in bios panel. L1 is at 128 and L2 is at 256 can this be part of the issue what else can it be.I've exhausted all things I do know and when I scan for spyware or viruses I get nothing out of the norm that shows up.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Cache is part of the processor so there will be nothing in the BIOS about them.
Your slowness may be caused by the hard drive beginning to run slow which would mean its starting to go on the way out.