Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sonic update manager

• Please log in to reply

willow38

willow38

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Every time I boot up I get the message "sonic update manager please insert disk" or find the file on the system. Well I haven't got the disk & I can't find the file on my system, please advise

Advertisements

annabackwards

annabackwards

• PipPipPip
  • 261 posts
Can you find a program called sonic on your add/remove list?
To check, click on Start, then Control Panel and then Add/Remove Programs. Look at the list and see if there is such a program, if so, uninstall it.

CherylG

CherylG

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i tried that but it didn't work

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
See if there is a Sonic anything in the Startup tab of msconfig (Start / Run, type msconfig and press Enter). Disable it if there.

Also on the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft Services box then disable Sonic anything.

Post back with results please.

Sonic is CD/DVD burning software so you don't want to uninstall it.

alokotos

alokotos

• Pip
  • 1 posts
thanks

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
alokotos, does your thanks mean you fixed it? If so can you post what worked for you here so others may benefit from it?

Thanks,

Ms. Anne

Ms. Anne

• Pip
  • 2 posts

See if there is a Sonic anything in the Startup tab of msconfig (Start / Run, type msconfig and press Enter). Disable it if there.

Also on the Services tab, check the Hide all Microsoft Services box then disable Sonic anything.

Ztrucker - I want to thank you for this post. I've been suffering with this for nearly a year and finally decided to get online tonight and just see if there was any information about what this crazy Sonic Update manager was. You've answered my question - burning software. O.k., so now I can attempt to follow your above guidance and see if I can at least disable this. Thanks :-)

Ms. Anne

Ms. Anne

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Ztrucker - I want to thank you for this post. I've been suffering with this for nearly a year and finally decided to get online tonight and just see if there was any information about what this crazy Sonic Update manager was. You've answered my question - burning software. O.k., so now I can attempt to follow your above guidance and see if I can at least disable this. Thanks :-)

Ztrucker - just so you'll know the outcome of my attempt at disabling the Sonic Update Manager. I was totally unable to locate it via your guidance above. Given that I now know (from your information) what this software is used for and the fact that I honestly NEVER use it - I have elected to uninstall it. From my perspective this was the easiest solve - again, I don't ever use it and it's beyond annoying going through 6 cancel events each and every time I reboot (or turn on) my computer. Again, my many thanks. Ms. Anne :-)