Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Slow running computer

• Please log in to reply

lulu61578

lulu61578

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Hi,

I'm here because my computer is running very slow. I feel like that there is a lot of things on here that I don't use or need but I'm not sure what to do with any of it. I often get a message when I go to close out a site that says "close now" or "cancel" and if I click "close now" I get another message that says "send an error report" or "cancel".

What do I need to do???

jen

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Start with this:

To speed-up your omputer please do the following: (For most downloads use links in my signature).

1: Click Start > run. Type msconfig. Go to the "startup" tab and uncheck everything which is not essential to run in the background. Leave only antimalware programs running. (if you change your mind latter you can reactivate those programs). Confirm and reboot. Upon rebooting a message will show up. Please check it and continue. For laptop users: do not uncheck items that clearly relate to the operation of the computer.

2: Download and install ccleaner. Do not install the Yahoo toolbar that comes packed with the program. Run the "cleaner" and "registry" options a number of times until nothing is left to be cleaned. Use the backup option (in "registry") when prompted to do so.

3: Run a thorough scan with updated antimalware programs. Personally I prefer Avast Antivirus, Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4, and AVG Anti-Spyware (all free). Run full system scans (all files), preferably in safe mode. Run the programs one at a time,

4: Run disk and registry defragmantation. For this operations I use and recommend Auslogic Disk Defrag and Auslogic Registry Defrag.

5: Download and run PageDefrag. This program defrags system and page files which are not defragged by other means. Set it to work upon next boot and reboot.

6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).

8: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click IDE Primary Channel, click Advanced Settings and write down what you see in Current Transfer Mode. Repeat the procesure for Secondary IDE Channel.

lulu61578

lulu61578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
6: Press ctr+alt+del to enter task manager. Under Performance tab look for "physical memory". Please report Total and Available.....
total----129008 available-------11860

7: Enter "My Computer", right-click drive C: > properties. Please report Capacity and Free Space of your hard disk (each partition, if you have more then one).
capacity 34,611,974,144 free space 16,322,883,584

8: Go to Device Manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers, Double click IDE Primary Channel, click Advanced Settings and write down what you see in Current Transfer Mode. Repeat the procesure for Secondary IDE Channel.
primary----ultra DMA Mode5 secondary-----PIO Mode

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The main reason that your computer is running slow is that you have very little RAM. Altogether you have 128 MB of which only about 11MB is free. That's not enough. It should be at least double that and even then your computer will be quite slow.

Regarding Secondary channel, try to change the mode from PIO to DMA, if possible.

lulu61578

lulu61578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok when i changed the secondary it came up an "ultra DMA mode2"
how do i free up some space? like i said in the original thread i know there are things on my computer that i dont use or need but i dont know what is important to keep and what isnt.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
That's nice, the DMA2. If you did all the steps I recommended, especially the msconfig, there is not much left that you can do. The memory of the system (RAM) is too small to run XP fast. I assume that this computer was used to run WIN98 which is far "lighter" then XP. You can install more RAM, that will improve things, but I am not sure to what extent. It might be that the computer is not capable of much more. If you wish us to look a little deeper into your hardware please write down the make and model of the motherboard.

The programs that are loaded on the computer do not place burden as long as they don't show up in Startup menu, and as long as they are kept closed.

Could you tell us what security programs you run? If you use one of these "all in one" (like Zone Alarm, Norton and other"suites") then this can worsen the situation to a great extent. If you do, uninstall them and download AVAST or AVG Antivirus (both free) and install them. If you download AVG please disable the automatic scan. This will save you lot of frustration. Use manual scanning from time to time.

to Give you better protection please download other antimalware programs that do not run in the background, such as Spybot Search And Destroy, AVG Antispyware (disable the real time protection option).

Another option is to disable Automatic Updates of Windows and update the computer manually once in a while.

Edited by The Skeptic, 26 December 2007 - 10:00 AM.

lulu61578

lulu61578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
ok where would i find the information in order to look into the hard drive. like i said i feel like there is a bunch of extra things.
jen

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
According to your previous post you don't have any problem with your hard disk, it's half empty. If you meant "motherboard" then you can open the side cover of your computer and see what's printed on the board. Alternatively you can download and run Everest (use the link in my signature), click on "motherboard" and write down Motherboard Name.

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

GOPINATH RADHAKRISHNAN

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
you seem to mean a bunch of extra things??? what sort of?? do you have a large no. of desktop icons or desktop shortcuts which you dont use?? If so do the following
>> open a new folder on the desktop and put all the unwanted icons on to it and keep only those you use
thats it.....

lulu61578

lulu61578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
i am hoping this is what u wanted.

Computer name: YOUR-US67PI6LUV
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Service pack: 2.0
Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 05
Model: D7217L-ABA 513
Serial Number: MX242S0767 NA800
uuid: A0BF5C698EE1D611BA56FA1C987D2E30
BIOS type: PhoenixBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0 licensed to Intel
BIOS ID: 31891.HPD.0000.D.0209251258
BIOS sign on: None
BIOS date: 2002.09.25
Chipset: Intel 2560 rev 1

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you write down the exact model of the computer?

How did you get this data, did you use Everest, like I asked?

lulu61578

lulu61578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I went to the page and i wasnt sure if i did the right thing but i copied everything that i found but anyways.
here is what i found on the side of the computer.
HP Pavillion 500
HW BOM: 101
SW BOM: NA80
system # D7217L
serial # MX242S0767

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have a look at this link. Your computer has very limited performance potential. The cpu is a Celeron 1.7 GH and the memory, which is tiny, is only 128 MB. If you want to keep this computer but get more of it you must increase the memry volume. I would suggest 512 MB minimum.

lulu61578

lulu61578

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
what would you suggest. the computer is like 5-7 years old. i dont really need an outragous computer. i search, chat, word process. nothing big.
jen

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The least that you can do is to take the computer to a decent lab and ask them to install one module of 512MB. This will add to the one you already have so all together you will have 640 MB.

If you are capable to doing this by yourself you should buy a DDR 400 or DDR 333, 512 MB memory module. However, I wouldn't recommend this. The reason is that the computer is quite old and it will take some knowledge to overcome incompetabilities.