Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitor Shuts Down and then restarts

• Please log in to reply

landany

landany

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When using the power saver option in Windows XP, (accessed via the control panel/display), when the monitor shuts down after the specified period of non-use, the screen goes dark, a message then appears saying "No Signal", and then the monitor turns back on again. Once this happens, my screen saver no longer works, nor do any of the power saver options. The only workaround I've found is to specify that the monitor is never turned off, so that at least my screen saver works. Any ideas on what might be causing this problem, and how I can get the monitor to shut down after the specified period of non-use?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
If your screensaver is a third-party one (ie not one supplied with Windows) these can often be incompatible with Windows power saving processes. Unless you are still using a CRT monitor (a big heavy one with a tube), screensavers are unnecessary since LCD screens do not suffer from the same problem caused by static images leaving a permanent 'ghost' image on the screen. It's very likely that your problem will no longer exist if you set the screensaver to 'none'.

landany

landany

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the fast response. The problem exists even when my screen saver is turned off.

landany

landany

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

If your screensaver is a third-party one (ie not one supplied with Windows) these can often be incompatible with Windows power saving processes. Unless you are still using a CRT monitor (a big heavy one with a tube), screensavers are unnecessary since LCD screens do not suffer from the same problem caused by static images leaving a permanent 'ghost' image on the screen. It's very likely that your problem will no longer exist if you set the screensaver to 'none'.

The problem occurs even when my screen saver is turned off.