Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Limitations on wireless networking

• Please log in to reply

michaelh613

michaelh613

• Pip
  • 5 posts
If one has a house that is too large to be fully covered by one wireless router. What options are their to bring full wireless access through the house. Can one just ge a more powerful router or does one typically need a 2nd machine somewhere in the house?

Advertisements

98springer

98springer

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
You can add another wireless router to act as an access point and relay data from the computers that are farther away.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
There are wireless antennas available which you can use to extend the range. My PCI card's wireless antenna removes easily and I only need to add the antenna. Some antennas are omni-directional and some directional with around 7-9 dbi gain. The more expensive ones may go to 18 dbi or so.

Google Search
From TigerDirect (good company)

10 tips for improving your wireless network

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 24 December 2007 - 11:15 PM.

michaelh613

michaelh613

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How much range should I expect from a Lynksys router. Is it generally better to use a higher rangemax router or use a repeater?

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Depends on the model you have. When I was searching for wireless stuff, Belkin had models covering from 200 to 700 feet. All the specs were listed on the boxes with the coverage in distance and not dBM. I'm sure it's the same with Linksys.

Ron

michaelh613

michaelh613

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Depends on the model you have. When I was searching for wireless stuff, Belkin had models covering from 200 to 700 feet. All the specs were listed on the boxes with the coverage in distance and not dBM. I'm sure it's the same with Linksys.

Ron

Unfortunately they don't mention it.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
All I can say is that I would keep it as simple as possible with the minimum of "boxes". High gain antennas for your wireless system would work fine, but it is hard to recommend something without really walking through the situation checking for rf obstructions, etc., i.e., any wireless system working on the 2.4 GHz frequency is susceptible to cordless phones on the same frequency.

You haven't mentioned the model you are interested in, but the specs on one I looked at (Wireless-N Home Router) mentions specs like this: RF Pwr (EIRP) in dBm is 17 dBm; Antenna Gain in dBi is 1.8 dBi. Hard to determine distances with this data since propagation characteristics vary from installation to installation.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 26 December 2007 - 03:54 PM.