Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hooking Up DVI Monitor

• Please log in to reply

merlin1989

merlin1989

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hello,

I recently bought an HDTV (19'') with HDMI input. I have a DVI/HDMI cable that I plan on using so I can display the computer on my new TV. My question is: do I need to change settings on my PC other than resolution to let it "know" that I'm now using DVI instead of VGA? In other words, should I simply be able to unplug my VGA monitor and plug in my DVI input TV, or must I change settings? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Ax238

Ax238

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 1,323 posts
Hello merlin1989,

You should be fine with any resolution you have your system set to. It should basically be the same as having a monitor. Your preferences may change once you see the display on your TV though. You should only need to tell your TV to look at a different input, consult your TV's manual for help with setting the input source.

Regards,

Ax