Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems building computer..

• Please log in to reply

Lancett

Lancett

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So I've been buying parts for the past few months to eventually piece together a new (somewhat decent) gaming computer. I've never built a computer so far, but thought that I probably should learn else I keep spending money for premades or other people building it for me.

Definitely not as easy as I thought it would be. I hit a problem pretty early on.

I have my motherboard, CPU, heat sink, RAM (4x1GB DDR2), Graphics Card, and monitor installed and the PSU correctly attached to all of the previous.

When I power on, all of the fans are active and spinning. The CPU fan sitting on the heatsink (powered off the motherboard if that's relevant), all three of the chassis fans, and the fan built into the graphics card (8600, powered off of MB as well).

Problem is.. There's no beep or display going out to my monitor. The HDD won't spin. I've double, triple, then quadruple checked all of the connections to make sure that they were firmly attached, but still to no avail. I can't seem to figure out why.

I've searched a few walkthroughs that suggest detaching everything except for the MB, CPU, RAM, Heatsink, GFX Card, and Monitor, so I've done that.. Still no beeps or display going to the monitor. I mean absolutely no display, not even a flash.. Monitor will sit there at, "No signal detected!" Please help me troubleshoot! :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Take the memory out, it won't hurt anything, try booting again.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The basic system troubleshooting guide.

http://www.fonerbooks.com/power.htm

More than likely it is a memory problem, but it could be other also. A bad hard drive in a new build would only let me see the Intel boot screen and nothing else. I just had to start replacing parts until replacing the HD suddenly let me see a error message about "No Operating System".

SRX660